2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sticky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Czechman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Jeep had extremely sensitive brakes after sitting overnight in wet conditions. Perhaps better lining would have eliminated the problem but just a little pressure on the brake pedal to drag the brakes will fix the problem. The heat eliminates the moisture and therefore the problem.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
jarnkm

I'm new and in here for a similar problem ... sticking front brake calipers. At 66, this is an Old Skool problem that Chrysler has had since some idiot in Chrysler convinced them to use Phenyolic Pistons in their calipers! Old kits could be had with choice of metal or phenyolic piston ... curing said problem. Obviously, the phenyolic expands more than the steel and thus ... seizure. Quick and sometimes permanent cure, used to be, clean the piston with warm water and fine scouring pad, then a light hone on the cylinder. Roadtest in heavy traffic for sticking! If so, hone a bit more, until problem ceases. Time consuming? Possibly! Enjoyable" Could be if the amount of purchased "cool fuel" is compared with that of a caliper and hose!!
No damned wonder Chrysler is going bankrupt ... any idiots stupid enough to continue using "Phenyolic Pistons" in their brake calipers, have to be lacking elsewhere, as well.
Hope this is of interest and helps, next time.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:25 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of things that make me scratch my head about what Dodge does. Like yesterday when I found out my ball joints are shot at 105k and have already been done by the recall... That should never happen.

I didn't know thats what Dodge did with their brakes, but it makes sense now. Mine used to stick on my last dakota, so far so good with this one though.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 PM
big.bryant
Champion

my brakes are starting to suck hard... i'm going to be replacing them here in a couple days with the drilled/slotted i have in my parents garage but its bull**** that they put tiny *** brakes on such a heavy truck.... panic stops are very far from confidence inspiring, thats for damn sure

Quick Reply: Sticky Brakes