2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

2000 dakota lights won't go out

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
shane019
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dakota lights won't go out

when i shut my truck off the lights will stay on. the high beam indicator is on but dash lights are not. when i turn the head light switch on the dashlights, park lights and the tail lights come on. I have to disconnect my battery inorder to get the lights to go out. I don't have a owners manual so i don't know where the headlight relays are or the running light modulator is. Any ideas or help would be great.

thanks shane

Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Billiam
Champion

Is your light switch On or Off when you turn the truck off?

My truck if I have the lights on, and then turn the truck off, the lights stay on for like 2 min or so, then turn off automatically. But if I turn the lights off before I turn the truck off, they turn off too.

Now, when you turn the truck off and the lights stay on I can also turn the key back to ignition (with out starting the truck) and they turn off.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
shane019

Originally Posted by Billiam
Is your light switch On or Off when you turn the truck off?

My truck if I have the lights on, and then turn the truck off, the lights stay on for like 2 min or so, then turn off automatically. But if I turn the lights off before I turn the truck off, they turn off too.

Now, when you turn the truck off and the lights stay on I can also turn the key back to ignition (with out starting the truck) and they turn off.

The head light switch is shutoff. The high beams are staying on and i have to idea why.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Billiam
Champion

Have you checked the fuses on the dash as well as under the hood?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think the 2000 Dakota's had the feature where the lights are on a delay before they turn off when you shut off the truck with the light switch on. On this what I would suggest is picking up the Haynes book for your truck, any parts store should have one. It should have diagrams and information on how to use a volt-ohm meter to check the operation of the headlight switch. You might have a bad headlight switch causing this problem. If you want, you could just replace the switch, it should not cost a lot.

It could also be that the multi-function switch is bad. That's the switch on the column that you use for high beams and the turn signals. I have a 2001 Dakota, which is wired differently from your 2000, but there is a chart in my Dodge Service Manual that says if the high beams are stuck on and won't turn off the first thing to check is a bad multi-function switch. From reading my manual I think this is the more likely cause of your headlight problem. Especially with you saying the high beam indicator stays on too. I had to replace mine a couple of years ago to fix my wipers. I got it at the dealer and it cost about $45.00. It's a dealer-only part, but it was not hard to replace. If it's not the switches the only other thing I could suggest and the only other thing in my manual is it is a bad Central Timer Module. But I would really doubt that, if this is the only problem you are having with the truck. The Haynes book should also have diagrams and info to test the multi-function switch with your volt-ohm meter.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 05-16-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01silver hit it, get you a manual, it will save your @$$ sometimes. My '03 has the timer function, but I don't think yours does. See if there is a way to test those switches or just bite about $100 and change them both. At least then you don't really have to deal with the switches again while you own the truck.

Quick Reply: 2000 dakota lights won't go out