2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New owner questions - brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Ownage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner questions - brakes

Ok I am a new owner of a 97 Dodge Dakota. The bootleg pdf manual I downloaded is for an 03, so I assume I have the correct manual?

Another question I have is related to brakes. I do not know if I have ABS or not. I have no ABS light and I do not see an abs fuse. My master cylinder flows into a junction with an electrical connector on it. Is this some sort of electric proportioning valve? There is also another junction block off to the right of it (looking at the truck head on) with nothing connected to it. It looks like a very mini version of the honda ABS HCU (with two little metal solnoids). I also hear a very ominious clicking sound when I sometimes hit the brakes. I believe I am able to lock them up too. Can someone explain this to me?

Another problem is that my car seems to stall while stopped or braking. Sometimes it is hard to get it restarted (a lot of cranking) although not often. I do have a line hanging by the evap unit, but it is not a vaccuum line and at worst I am wasting fuel vapor. Explain please.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it has an EGR valve, but that could cause stalling and a rough start when warm. The 03 manual probably does not list an EGR, because many newer vehicles ditched the EGR.

Not sure about the ABS either, but it probably has rear wheel ABS. It's a common thing to liok up the front brakes on these trucks.

Quick Reply: New owner questions - brakes