2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'99 Dakota, Caliper (aftermarket) Mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
jarnkm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Dakota, Caliper (aftermarket) Mismatch

1999 Dodge Dakota, 3.9L, 2WD. Continuous sticking caliper of Rt. Fr., in heavy traffic. Recently got caught in Birmingham traffic towing a car on a tow dolley. As luck (?) would have it, an Auto Zone was in sight ... on the other side of the 6 lane busy hwy!! After using all of the "coolant" we had left, I was able to cool it down enough to swap the caliper, ONLY to find that the "spread" on the outer holes for the pad retainer tabs, by 3/8" or so. After over an hour of checking 2yrs up and 2yrs back on every available Dakota caliper in Birmingham Auto Zones, I gave up, got a QT. of fluid and some various grit wet/dry paper, went back for some "Old Skool" elbow grease and at least got it to get us "out of town". Of course, the rather "Long" down time allowed the traffic to slow down enough for us to sneak back in the lane.

HERE'S my delima: Auto Zone, Advanced and Oriellys seems to have a problem getting a match!!! Do ANY of you guys have an idea to what is going on? They all say that they sell them on a normal "stocking to non-stocking" basis, which really doesn't say much. And NO, I haven't gone to Dodge yet .... I'm really afraid of what I'd say, after 45+ years in the auto repair business and my occassional "run-ins" with Chrysler.

ANY HELP will be appreciated!!

Quick Reply: '99 Dakota, Caliper (aftermarket) Mismatch