2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Do I absolutly need the DRB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Ownage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I absolutly need the DRB?

I am new to Dodge and I am already starting to not like it.

For my 3000GT there was EVOSCAN that would interface with Mitsubishi's MUT II proprietary protocall. In my short lived honda days, I remember one could easily solder a chip and adapter that would interface with some aftermarket software and allow full access to the computer.

What is there for Dodge? The DRB? Are you telling me that the ONLY way I will have access to all sensor readings, ABS commands, timing control (simple advance...), and even VIN reprogramming is by way of a $3000 tool on ebay? There are no alternatives out there??

Now I'm a little confused, are the people who absolutly NEED the DRB III the OBD I people (95>=). Since I am 97 and OBD II, I am wondering if there is a way to interface with these systems via the generic OBD II interface.

My computer based scan tool (ELM SCAN interface) could only pull a handfull of PIDs and allow me to pull codes. There is no way I can advance timing, or reprogram the VIN, or anything.

I am worried my computer may be going out (well could be CKP\CMP, trying those first), and I REFUSE to pay a dealer to reprogram a new junkyard ECU with my VIN and mileage. I do all work myself and refuse to pay "the man." I find this very sad that it may be PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for me to do my own work on my car. Even Mitsu wasen't that bad. Everything in the damn manual says I need the DRB.

Is there any aftermarket alternative (through OBD II prefreably) out there? If not I think Dodge is going to lose me as a customer......

I have heard of D-Cal, can anyone shed some light on this?

Quick Reply: Do I absolutly need the DRB?