2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System
Print Wikipost

Poor Gas mileage & Loss of Power "Solved"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
fastyz400
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Although I don't have a 2nd gen, since we're on the topic of MAP sensors, I went out and tested mine this evening. It read fine with the motor off, but with the motor idling, it was at ~1.12V. When I kicked it up to WOT, it peaked at ~4.35V, and when it was dropping back to idle, it was reading ~0.15V (although it drops fast, so that was a hard one to check). These aren't horrible readings, but they are at the very low side of the accepted range. What do you guys think, replace it or leave it?

I should also mention, the reason I checked it in the first place is cause my truck has a hard time coming back down to idle when I depress the clutch. It will try to stall and then "catch" itself. I have already replaced the IAC. It's been like this ever since I did the auto to manual transmission swap.
That's a tough call. But, if you have never replaced it, I would. It's only $66. This should be considered a maintenance item. My SRT4 Caliber had similar idle & starting issue. That was the vehicle that started the whole map sensor thread. After the map sensor went out completely in the caliber and replaced, my idle, starts and everything was back to new car condition.

I found out how important that sensor really is to the drivability and characteristics of any car with a map sensor. I bet a lot of the dodge trucks with idle issues has to do with the map sensor as well.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I don't have a 2nd gen, since we're on the topic of MAP sensors, I went out and tested mine this evening. It read fine with the motor off, but with the motor idling, it was at ~1.12V. When I kicked it up to WOT, it peaked at ~4.35V, and when it was dropping back to idle, it was reading ~0.15V (although it drops fast, so that was a hard one to check). These aren't horrible readings, but they are at the very low side of the accepted range. What do you guys think, replace it or leave it?

I should also mention, the reason I checked it in the first place is cause my truck has a hard time coming back down to idle when I depress the clutch. It will try to stall and then "catch" itself. I have already replaced the IAC. It's been like this ever since I did the auto to manual transmission swap.

personally, i wouldnt worry about it too much.. goin from idle to WOT gradually, i was fluctuating badly between .8 volts to 1.7 volts. the fluctions were more like spikes, and they varied between rpms. say i was at 1800 and it was .9, then at 2400 rpms i was at 1.2, then back down and up, it's shot. however from what you told me and compared it to the chilton manual, youre within spec. test in while to makesure it hasnt crapped out on ya

Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by f0x672
goin from idle to WOT gradually, i was fluctuating badly between .8 volts to 1.7 volts.
Mine was doing the same thing if I gradually increased. I think the reason for that is cause there's not much of a vacuum as you gradually increase in rpms, but if you grab the throttle lever on the side of the throttle body and shove it open all at once it should pull a huge vacuum as it's trying to suck in a whole lot of air, and thats where mine was peaking at ~4.35V.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM
f0x672
Champion

Mine was doing the same thing if I gradually increased. I think the reason for that is cause there's not much of a vacuum as you gradually increase in rpms, but if you grab the throttle lever on the side of the throttle body and shove it open all at once it should pull a huge vacuum as it's trying to suck in a whole lot of air, and thats where mine was peaking at ~4.35V.
that could be the case, the gradual build up, but i held it steady at WOT, didnt increase voltage, which it should. according to chilton, a great amount of vacuum will cause low voltage when the throttle plates are closed "idle". at wide open throttle when the vacuum is less, the voltage will be higher. so one would assume with a gradual throttle increase, the voltage should spike.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, I can't really hold mine at WOT, cause I have a mopar performance computer in my truck that eliminates the rev limiter. I really don't want to blow the engine up (at least not until the 408 is done and ready to swap :P). So I wasn't able to tell if it builds vacuum or not at WOT when you gradually rev it WOT, but I think it was acting like your's. I think I might just go ahead and replace the MAP sensor if for no other reason than it's 14 years old and it just might help solve my idling issues.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 AM
fastyz400
Rookie

Lol, I can't really hold mine at WOT, cause I have a mopar performance computer in my truck that eliminates the rev limiter. I really don't want to blow the engine up (at least not until the 408 is done and ready to swap :P). So I wasn't able to tell if it builds vacuum or not at WOT when you gradually rev it WOT, but I think it was acting like your's. I think I might just go ahead and replace the MAP sensor if for no other reason than it's 14 years old and it just might help solve my idling issues.
Ya, you won't regret the decision. I use a AEM FIC to tune my Caliber SRT4. The map voltage is critical to the fuel map of the ecm. Minor voltage inaccuracies can cause lean or rich conditions. It's critical that the map sensor is sending the correct info.

It might be in tolerance, however, is that at each voltage point? You can't monitor that unless your on a dyno. Then you will need a tuning solution to see where each point is hitting on the fuel map.

It's best just to change it out. You will be happy with the result. You can't beat $66 at autozone.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
ccrunner
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you replace the MAP sensor should you also replace clean the tb?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
f0x672
Champion

Originally Posted by ccrunner
When you replace the MAP sensor should you also replace clean the tb?
this isnt a bad idea, considering the map gets replaced because of the dirt and carbon build up

Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 PM
ccrunner
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking from what I read. I'll definitely do this over the weekend, thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 PM
fastyz400
Rookie

Any updates on throttle response and mileage improvements from the people that have replaced their map sensor?

Quick Reply: Poor Gas mileage & Loss of Power "Solved"