2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck is pulling to the right when braking. Need some help lol.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck is pulling to the right when braking. Need some help lol.

Well I thought I would fix it so I replaced the right caliper since the truck was pulling the the left hard when braking and this did not fix it. I replaced the caliper also because it was stuck out and making my brakes drag. If I replace the left caliper shouldn't it stop pulling to the left when braking. I also bled the brakes if this helps. Thanks ahead of time.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 PM
caddy owner

Keep your radio tuned to something other than NPR or Rush Limbaugh. It should then brake straighter rather than veering left or right.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

bent brake line? i would check all the lines out.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
mact
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling to the X tells me the X brake is working harder than the Y brake.

Investigate. It could be the Y brake is broken and the X brake is workign properly. Look at the rears as well.

Might also be a "retained pressure" issue...if the hoses are old, they can (and will) degtenerate inside and block fluid from returning. So new hoses (a cheap deal, about $10-15 each, and there are likely 3 on the truck) is a Good THing.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM
crazyaussie

Did this just happen out of the blue? Has it rained recently or did you change pads recently? Mine was pulling to the right but it turns out there was just water on the pads from when I changed them. I took it out the next day and no more pulling. You might also experience the same if you changed pads and didn't clean them off before installing.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd replace both rubber hoses. when they get old and soft they swell and absorb the pressure.
i'd also replace the other caliper so they are both in equal condition. either both old or both new.

the side that its pulling to is working good. the other side is not.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 06-09-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is going to sound stupid, but i have seen it done before..... by any chance did you replace the pads on the right side of the truck and NOT replace the ones on the left? i know that no one with any automotive sense would do that, but i swear to god i have seen it done by cheap bastards and little old ladies with shiesty mechanics.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM
300exoh
Rookie

Check your spindle/steering knuckle where the caliper rides against it. The caliper will wear grooves into the spindle and cause it to hang up. If this is the problem you will either have to replace the spindle or have a good welder weld over the groove to fill in the low spot and grind it smooth again. I had this problem on mine and the caliper was dragging bad enough that the heat caused it to catch fire....luckily I was pulling into the garage when I noticed the fire and was able to grab an extinguisher to put it out before my truck went up with it.

Quick Reply: Truck is pulling to the right when braking. Need some help lol.