2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

powertrax and factory lsd

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powertrax and factory lsd

soo...lately I've been thinking about how much my open diff pisses me off, and I was thinking of upgrading to lsd. Now I've been searching around and I have found things like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-92-0392-3125/ I was also thinking about the possibility of just junkyarding an axle with the factory LSD. Is there any difference between Powertrax systems and factory LSD? Also, I don't have to do anything else with the drivetrain or anything do I? ...just bolt in the locker and that's it? Differentials aren't exactly..my thing...trying to figure this whole upgrading thing out.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a huge difference between a locker and a limited slip differential. Limited slip differentials use several clutch packs to stop the differential's spider gears from spinning. As more torque is transfered to the differential (when you step on the gas), it applies more pressure to the clutches to provide even torque to the two wheels on the axle. As you let off the gas and the torque transfer is reduced, it takes pressure off the clutches and lets the wheels slip enough to turn. A locker (which is what the powertrax is), uses a ratchet mechanism to lock and unlock the locker. When you're going in a straight line, or when torque is transferred through the locker, it is locked, and there is an always even 50-50 split and power between the two wheels on the axle (basically you have a spool). When you let off the gas and turn, the ratchet unlocks and allows the wheels to travel at different rates through the turn.

If you use your truck mostly as a daily driver, a locker can be a bit rough, and from what I've heard from people who have them, the locking/unlocking sensation can take some getting used to. You will experience a bit of understeer through a turn if your on the gas too much. A limited slip differential, however, will provide you with the same equal torque transfer and won't be as rough through a turn. I have a Trac-Lok LSD in my truck and the only time I've ever noticed it is if I'm making a hard turn and heavy on the gas.

If you mostly use your truck for offroading, a locker will be a better bet. If you were to get one wheel completely off the ground, a locker will provide the wheel on the ground with 50% of the power, whereas a LSD can do at best 30-40%.

The powertrax will be easier to install from what I understand. I believe it fits in an open carrier where the spider gears go. A limited slip differential requires replacing the entire carrier, which means swapping the ring gear and ABS tone ring and re-setting the proper backlash on the ring gear.

You should not look for a junk yard LSD because they can very well be worn out and you'll have to replace the clutches.

I hope this answers your question!

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 06-11-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Well actually that does help a lot, thank you for that post. My truck is my daily driver. The open differential is just pissin me off considering that it's really hard to make turns in any kind of poor weather condition...I just don't have much traction. So should I just go to the junkyard and get a factory LSD setup, then?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

Sorry, I edited my first post, but I guess not in time. I answered that question.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

I should also add, if you want to go the LSD route, check out ebay. I got my Dana Trac-Lok LSD (the factory LSD that Dodge uses) brand new in box for $250 shipped... about half the price of the powertrax. I also had to get new bearings pressed onto it though. And, to set the backlash, you'll need a special tool because Dodge uses threaded adjusters not shims on their differential carriers. It's basically a HUGE allen wrench the length of the axle tube. Or, it you have an extra torsion bar lying around, the hex head on them is the right size and they are plenty long (thats what I used cause the tool is like $50-60). And you'll also need a dial indicator to set the backlash because it must be set to between .005" and .008"

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 06-11-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

well I was having a hard time finding it, but i did find Dana Trac-lock. It is listed at 290 bucks, is this it?: http://4wheelonline.com/Products.asp...ProductId=1855

Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 PM
revdodge600sdi
Professional

i have a factory mopar locker (traclok) taken out of a hemi at work. it fits a 9.25 rear end..im pretty sure i got everything you need to put it in..let me know if anyone wants it

Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't settle for anything less than a locker. I have experience with both clutch type and Torsen (like a Detroit TrueTrac) LSDs and IMO they both completely suck off-road, clutch types are marginal on road and the Torsen is decent on road. I've driven a PowerTrax No-Slip and they're very streetable, they're not perfect but they're pretty damn good, and when you need traction, there's no BS, just traction.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
I personally don't settle for anything less than a locker. LSDs and IMO they both completely suck off-road, PowerTrax No-Slip and they're very streetable, they're not perfect but they're pretty damn good, and when you need traction, there's no BS, just traction.
I couldn't agree more. LSD are deffently better then an open diff. But if your upgrading do it right. A full locker will give you the most traction you can get. I have the Powertrax No-Slip locker and I will never go to a LSD. Or back to an open.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I couldn't agree more. LSD are deffently better then an open diff. But if your upgrading do it right. A full locker will give you the most traction you can get. I have the Powertrax No-Slip locker and I will never go to a LSD. Or back to an open.
Are you still rockin the 8.25? I wanna lock mine but I cant decide whether or not I want to go 9.25 first, if I keep the 8.25 I'll get a No-slip, I just hate the idea of 27 spline axles behind a V8 5 speed and I'm kinda hard on things.

Quick Reply: powertrax and factory lsd