2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New guy! and i have some questions before i buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
mact
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my $0.02 worth

Smog issues. in California the seller needs to have it inspected and passed. State Law. The buyer can waive this at their peril. I waives this on my recent purchase of a 97 2WD 5.2 and wrestled with it for a week...I think now I've got it under control (new O2 sensor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, pcv, some vac hoses, etc. So get this settled before you even discuss price. Or be willing to walk. Depends on law in your state,. but it htere are issues passing smog you could be nailed for thousands to repair. (hourly rates of $125-165 are common here, even at independendt shops. and parts are often 2X list)

Tires cost $500 at Sam's Club...so those douts are not cheap.

so far I get about 12-13mpg on my first tank full. i hope this will improve a little bit. This is about what I had in my last truck, a Jeep Comanche w/GM2.8 POS. Ran it's little *** off just going down the road (like the Ranger's 3.0 liter!) and that cost mileage.

Reliability is up to the car.

Try to pull the dist cap and check inside. Look neglected? Tells you something. (if that lump has a dist)

look at air filter. Clean? Some Chrysler air filters are a bith and a half to change, even so the filters need to be checaked and changed. if the one in the target vehicle is bad...it has not been mainte=ained right by the people who were supposed to do it.

Smell around the interior. I found a lot of beer spills in mine. Some areas on the carpet stunk. Not a good sign for DPO responsibility.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok on the topic of the engine the 3.9 is about as reliable as they come (even if someone claims to have had a bad one) between my dad and i we have owned 4 of them, all were still running solid when we sold them, one at 200k, one at 120k, one an 150k, and the last one we still have just over 100k on it, so that is not an issue as long as it was taken care of (oil changed tune-ups done ect) (although thats a given for every dodge engine i have ever worked on, never caused any issues, 3.9/5.2/5.9(all basically the same engine just changing number/size of cylinders) and the new 3.7/4.7 series is equally good In my experience)

the topper, and brush guard price, you could prob sell them each for btw 25-50% of retail (for a new one) if they are in good condition just do some research on the model and part number.

gas mileage on the 4x4 w/ the 3.9 is gonna be 16-17 regardless of the type of driving you do, my dad does all highway gets 17 does all around town 17, does a mix, 16 the v8s get better mpgs on the highway for sure (i can get 20-21 highway w/ the 4.7)

and before you buy make sure to check the ball joints especially, but go over the truck and make sure EVERYTHING is in good shape check the oil amke sure its clean, pull a spark plug or two make sure its not running rich, or burning plugs, check the distributer cap make sure it looks ok all the same stuff you should look at before buying any used vehicle.

and if your not familiar with the truck find a GOOD MECHANIC who IS and have him take a look over it for you the ones in my area will often do this for a reasonable price, and believe me its worth it to make sure the truck wasnt beat on by the previous owner

Old 06-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Outlaw Incorporated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you guys think i should get this or not?

i dont need a v8 but i but i wouldnt mind having one... we have a f150 we pull our enclosed with so towing wouldnt be this trucks job... just dropping off motors, swingarms, wheels, stuff like that...

i can get tires from a buddy of mine for 400-450 dollars...

i can probly weld the exhaust crack myself for a temporary fix.

the a/c is the only thing i dont know what is wrong because i havent looked at the truck yet...

how would i see if the transmission is hurt? shift it at high rpms? and how would i check the ball joints with the truck on the ground?

i will be pulling the dipstick and checking the oil... will probly check all fluids...

it seems to be maintained if he just put a new starter and all that stuff in there but idk...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
revdodge600sdi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it makes you feel better..i had a 1997 dakota extended cab 3.9 auto.. i had a 7.5 foot western plow on it for three years.. rolled almost a 190,000 before i sold it.. the truck never ever let me down and besides the front end being worn out from the plow..the motor,4x4, tranny, and everything else was still perfect..the 3.9 is realy a great motor

Quick Reply: New guy! and i have some questions before i buy