2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Programming Alpine Alarm/Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming Alpine Alarm/Keyless Entry

I bought my dakota roughly 2 months ago. The guy I bought it from said that the alarm works fine, but the remote needs to be reprogrammed to control the alarm and keyless entry. If I use the power lock before I shut the door to my truck, the alarm engages and works fine. It also disengages like it should when I put the key in to enter.

Now, to program the remote for keyless entry and to turn the alarm on/off it seems like im S.O.L. I've taken it to Futureshop, Visions and the Dodge Dealership. None of them have any idea how to program it. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what model the alarm is, if it came with the truck or is aftermarket, or even what model the remote is. I can however, provide you with a picture.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can reprogram the remote to unlock/lock my doors, aswell as turn on/off vallet mode with the alarm?

<---- is the remote that I have.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is definitely an aftermarket alarm. Alpine has not made or sold alarms for a very long time now. The last one I can remember installing was in 1996. It used to be that the remote had dip switches inside it that you had to open the alarm unit up and match the switch configuration between the remote and alarm. I have no idea whether that would be the case on this one. I doubt it though.

What you need to do is find the alarm unit in the truck. It should not be hard to locate. Usually under the driver's side of the dash. Remove it or see if you can read the model number off the unit with it in the truck. Then call Alpine at 1-800-421-2284 and get hold of technical customer support. They should be able to walk you through the programming if they still have technical info on your alarm. It could be really old and obsolete now.

This alarm almost sounds like it's in valet mode. Is there an LED in the truck and if so does it flash when the alarm is set? Does the siren go off if you open the door?

You might visit www.caraudioforum.com and see if anyone there knows what unit you have and how it operates and the programming steps. If it were my truck I would remove the Alpine alarm and have a Viper installed. They are much more reliable and user-friendly. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. You can visit www.directed.com to learn more about Viper.

Jimmy

Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a security icon that flashes on my dashboard. There is also a little red light that will sometimes flash, not really sure what thats all about. But yes, if the alarm is on and I pull the lock open (if the window was open) without putting the key in first, the alarm will go off. Thanks for the info dude, helped me out on both of my posts.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The security icon in the dash is for the factory alarm. It should have no bearing on the Alpine alarm. The little red light that flashes sometimes is the alarm LED, Light Emitting Diode for the Alpine alarm. It flashes to let you know the alarm is on, and I think they used to either flash a different pattern or come on solid when in valet mode. From what you said here I would make a very strong guess that the Alpine alarm is defective and that's why it only works intermittently. Even if it works part of the time, it's old. It really should be replaced with a better quality alarm, especially if you plan on installing subs, expensive new speakers, aftermarket lights and all that. When that Alpine finally fails for good, it will be at the worst possible time and a thief will take what he wants from your truck, and he won't care how much damage he does in the process.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Programming Alpine Alarm/Keyless Entry