2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans cooling lines question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans cooling lines question

Hey guys,
I have to replace transmission cooling lines this weekend. I don't believe I have to worry about anything when I'm finished other then checking trans oil. 98 dakota, 3.9L, standard cooling. Am I right in assuming the lines will purge themselves? Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
huseman808
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
Hey guys,
I have to replace transmission cooling lines this weekend. I don't believe I have to worry about anything when I'm finished other then checking trans oil. 98 dakota, 3.9L, standard cooling. Am I right in assuming the lines will purge themselves? Thanks!
That is correct.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
mact
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as said, yes. you will need to monitor the level though as the process could require an additional amount of fluid (depends how much drains out while you are messing with it). And remember Not GM nor Ford fluid...but AT4.. Wal-Mart has it as would most other places (as much as I'd prefer not to go to Wally World, their prices on oil and fluids are better than anyone else unless there's a sale.). Ours even has Mopar oil filters, a couple numbers anyway...but no application data. (I always prefer to use OEM filters, followed by Wix or NAPA).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mact
(I always prefer to use OEM filters, followed by Wix or NAPA).
A lot of MOPAR filters are made by FRAM.. I'll stick with NAPA Gold/Wix and Purolator.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Job done!

Well got the job done, what a PITA. Took a trans bath as well as a coolant bath disconnecting lower hose to get to the quick connects which by the way I had to use the old clips, the new ones wouldn't lock? They look fairly close but a little different, a little cheaper. And to add to other things I guess I should of disconnected the battery which I did do after the lines touched the starter and frame and burned a whole in the aluminum line. I always wondered why you always are told to disconnect the battery!
I did find out about the ATF-4 being backward compatible. I use it in the crossfire as well. Thanks for the help all!

Quick Reply: Trans cooling lines question