2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Parts sources and rebuilding 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parts sources and rebuilding 4.7L

I searched and failed. After getting the input from you guys and reading the service manual, my educated decision is to rebuild the 4.7 and stick with the stock tranny. the 45rfe sounds like it is a great tranny and the way that everything is tied together electronically with the t-case motor, car alarm, etc. I would like to keep the technology.

I have been searching for parts sources for the 4.7. I usually look to Hughes Engines but that is for the Magnum engines.

Where do you guys get your engine parts from? Like pistons, cams, etc.

Also, has anyone here turned their regular 4.7 into the HO model?

Has anyone done this rebuild before? The engine has 160,000 miles on it and I think if I am pulling it to fix the tick I should rebuild it completely.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The more I look around the more it seems like most people don't attempt to rebuild this engine. Is this the case? Or you pay somone else to do it?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually that is the case. its probably easier to find another one than it is to rebuild it. think of all the 4.7's on the road. dodge has been putting them in dakotas, durangos, and rams since 2000. there are alot of good engines sitting in junkyards from rollovers, being smashed in the rear end, etc.

Quick Reply: Parts sources and rebuilding 4.7L