2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Same old ABS light question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
JollyRoger85
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same old ABS light question...

So I know everyone's heard it a hundred times but I'm new to the site and I have to ask... I have the classic ABS/Brake light problem with my '99. The lights come on at 55mph and there is a constant ticking in the brake pedal as if the ABS is being applied all the time. I've poked around on other sites and was told to replace the RWSS. I did this and "reset the computer" by removing the battery cables for a given amount of time, etc, etc. Maybe these were bad instructions or maybe there's more to it than that but either way I still have the problem. Please help if you know what I'm talking about!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 AM
tbird

Sounds as if we may have the same problem. Just so I understand correctly, are you hearing the ticking just when you are applying your brakes? My lights come on at 60 and I hear a ticking noise whenever I apply my brakes. Here's what I've found out so far.

1. Had brakes checked: AOK
  2. Took to a recommended shop for diagnosis. They replaced the RWSS, but no go. That's $100 + for nothing. They say the ticking noise is coming from the brake pressure limit valve, which is part of the ABS system. What they can't say for sure yet is whether replacing the valve would stop the ticking, or if something else is causing it to tick. Wonderful.
  3. Plan on taking it to the Dodge shop hoping they can pinpoint the problem.
  4. One thing I tried was taking the ABS fuse out to see what would happen. The ticking stopped, but then the speedometer didn't work, the ABS light was on by itself, and of course I wouldn't have ABS. Put the fuse back in.
I'd just let it go, but unfortunately I'm the **** type that doesn't like noises that shouldn't be there and lights to come on for an unknown reason. I've also see plenty of posts with the ABS/brake lights coming on, but they've also had problems with the speedometer not working, or the lights being on all the time, etc. Not many posts about the ticking noise. Good luck. I'd sure like to get it fixed without spending $1000 doing the old process of elimination. I should have started an auto repair shop when I was younger. "Oh, that's not the problem after all. Sorry about you having to spend money on a part that was perfectly good. Maybe the next part we throw in will fix it. If not, we'll just keep trying".

Old 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM
JollyRoger85
Professional

Yep, we're definitely having the same problem. The ticking noise itself isn't what bothers me but I have a pulsing in the pedal along with it and the brakes just don't work the way they should. I did the same thing with pulling the fuse but like you said the spedometer is on the same circuit and actually controlled by the same sensor... I've heard there is another sensor in the system that may be causing it if you have 4-wheel ABS. I don't honestly know if I have 4-wheel or not but it was an option for these trucks. If you know you have 4 wheel there should be ABS sensors up front in the wheel bearing assemblies. Definitely let me know if you make any headway and I'll do the same.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:11 PM
JollyRoger85
Professional

By the way... what year/model/trim package do you have? Maybe there's a connection in what components our trucks have because there were a hell of a lot of different combinations in those years.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
tbird

I've got a 2000 Sport with a quad cab and 5.9l engine. I think it's only got 2 wheel ABS.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
JollyRoger85
Professional

Ok, mine is a '99 Sport Single Cab with the 3.9l so I guess that rules that out.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
ccrunner
Veteran

Do your brakes feel "hard" when you push them? Is it hard to make quick stops?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
tbird

Not sure who you're directing the question to, but I don't have any problems with braking, just have the clicking noise and the lights come on over 60.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
JollyRoger85
Professional

I have the hard braking problem... the ticking noise is also a pulsing in the pedal like the ABS is kicking in all the time. When you first hit the brakes they're very hard like they're pumped up with the switch off, then on a quick stop about 15ft before you actually stop the pedal drops (not to the floor, but to where it should've been in the first place) and you have to hit them that much harder... the brakes work but if you don't know it's coming it can be pretty scary... any idea what my problem is?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
JollyRoger85
Professional

Hey tbird... I decided to dig a little deeper and found the actual plug for the ABS system. If you're like me and you'd rather not have ABS at all you can unplug it without losing your speedometer like you do when you pull the fuse. The only downside is your ABS and BRAKE light will be on constantly, but we're both pretty used to that at this point anyway. So let me know if you're interested I'll post a pic of where the plug is. I figure it's easier than trying to explain it. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Same old ABS light question...