2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

will not start.Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
glohound
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will not start.Please help

Hello everybody

I just bought a 2001 dakota quad cab, the problem I'm having is when I try to start it, it won't turn over the first time, when I try again ,it may turn over but if it do it sounds like it don't want to.I have given it a full tune-up plugs,wires distributor cap, rotor, pvc valve the whole nine. Could it be some kind of sensor.has anyone heard of a crank sensor and if so where is it?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First thing to check would be the battery. A good battery will have 12 to 13 volts without the truck running and around 14 volts when the engine is at idle. Will it start if you jump it with a good battery? Dakota's are really sensitive to low voltage problems. Do you have any trouble codes stored? On 2001's you can turn the ignition on and off 3 times and on the 3rd time leave it on and any stored trouble codes will show in the odometer.

Jimmy

Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 AM
dodgeheller99
Rookie

X2 on the battery check, if not, maybe the starter has a foot in the grave

Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 PM
glohound

Just bought a new battery.It will attempt to start,I will hold it for about 10 seconds, let it go ,and try again and it will start right up with no problem.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 PM
dandragonrage
Rookie

I might guess it has to do with the fuel delivery system. I would let it sit for a while, then turn it on (but don't crank), check the fuel pressure, do your 10 second thing, and check the fuel pressure again. (Might not even be close to the problem, but I think it's worth a try since it's pretty easy to check.)

Old 06-21-2009, 01:06 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would let it sit for about a day then before first start up cycle key 2-3 times to on(not start) then try to start it and see if it starts right up. My friend has a 98 sport with the 3.9 and some mornings is will start up fine and others it will crank but wont start on first try but will work on the second try.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you turn on the ignition to run but do not start the truck, let it sit with ignition on for 10 seconds then it starts OK, you need a new fuel pump. There's a regulator in the fuel pump assembly that primes the pump with fuel. When the regulator goes bad it will not prime right away and so the truck won't start. The truck will keep running OK, but you will just have to wait to start it like that every time, until you replace the fuel pump. If it were my truck I would go ahead and replace the fuel pump now before it fails altogether and really leaves you stranded somewhere.

Jimmy