2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
reddakota34
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid change.

Got a question im thinking about geting my tranny fluid changed and getting my bands adjusted, but ive heard from some people that if your trannys fine its bad to change the fluid and filter that somthing could happen after like it could start slipping for shifting funny after or the tranny could go? my tranny has 130,000 miles on it.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
reddakota34
Professional

Well whats the difference between changing the filter and fluid and doing a flush? And what does a flush do? And is it good to adjust the bands?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever changed the fluid before?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
pr0jktmayhem

my uncle whos a mechanic told me if you never have changed your tranny fluid and you have over or close to 100k miles and you change the fluid.then in his experience the tranny would start to slip and cause problems. he never mentioned why but just my 2 cents.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is my opinion, take it for what its worth.
a transmission that has not been service regularly will have a lot of sludge in the pan, as well as on all surfaces inside. when you change the fluid, you get out some of it, leave a lot behind, put in a nice new filter, and put in new fluid that's loaded with detergents. its my opinion that the new fluid puts the sludge in suspension, which stops up the new filter, leading to failure. its also my opinion that if you do a second service a week or two or three after the first, it avoids the problem.

another cause of problems is people using the wrong fluid. dodge requires atf+4 and nothing else.

another problem is improper band adjustments. some people just don't know what they're doing. so if you don't, leave them alone.

edit - a flush attempts to remove all the fluid from the trans using either the internal pump or a pressure gizmo. a good flush will also include dropping the pan and changing the filter. a bad flush will skip the filter change which is stupid, but takes the shop less time and is therefore a LOT more profitable.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 07-20-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change.