2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stereo removal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009 | 01:43 PM
tyork15
|
Default Stereo removal help

I have a 2003 dakota single cab manual trans with no tilt wheel. I have been trying to remove the dash to take out the stock stereo but cant seem to get it completely off. I have unscrewed the top two screws and pulled everything off but cant get it past the stearing wheel, can anyone help please.

Old 07-19-2009 | 09:39 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

well in my truck i had to pull the 2 screws in the gauge cluster area, then i had to pull 3 torx screws out of the panel that is under the steering wheel and disconnect the parking brake release lever. then i put it in first gear (auto trans) then i had to pull it out a little bit and remove the plugs for all the switches in behind it. then i just pulled it off, the area above the wheel will flex alittle if you pull out the top first it should come. dont be too agressive. although i have never seen a dak with no tilt wheel im sure if its the same or not, but it shouldn't be too different.

Old 07-20-2009 | 12:11 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

It also helps to remove the torx screws holding the 2 halves of the plastic bezel around the steering column where the shifter and turn signal arm are located. It will provide more room to maneuver the dash around. Pull the dash panel forward, sort of roll it up and to the right side of the truck. It's hard to remove when there is no tilt steering, but with patience it will come on out. If all else fails you can drop the steering column to make it really easy.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Stereo removal help