2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Straight pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a 44 its awesome, i was looking for loud and the drone is fine i like it, not that hard to hear radio over and when you get to the 3k rpm range it sounds BA!!!!!!!!!!! above that it sounds more like a race car than a truck lol
personally i think the single pipe out the back looks dumb either do dual out the back or have bend to look stock, im gonna eventually have two pipes come out in front of the rear passenger tire but havent gotten the time to goto my muffler shop to have them weld or bend up some pipe

oh and definately go stainless mine is starting to show signs of rust and we dont really get snow so there is no salt on the roads

Last edited by Josh Abels; 01-06-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

flowmaster fail!!!

IMO

Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
00dakSport
All Star

thanks all

ill def go w/ the 44, i think mags are for hot rods and serious mod projects.
i just don't want the stock tail pipe because it eats so much cr@p behind the tire and personaly i think it looks stupid. an on a cold day it looks cool to see a trail of exaust, dual would look cool but then i heard u have to change the diameter to keep pressusre and dual 1" in. pipes just don't impress me lol.

i was also looking at dumping it before the tire but i have only seen that on extened cabs and my muffler stops right at the tire on my reg cab.
i think u can pick up a bend like that at any aidauto,etc josh
maybe ill just dump the exaust down and forget the shinny tips.
anone else w/ a reg cab. have these problems?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

well the super 44 muffler is a lot shorter than the stocker, so if you cut your exhaust closer to the cat i bet u could pull off putting it in front of the tire, right now mine is running through a at least 6" adapter cause the muffle is single 3" in dual 2.25" out and the muffler dumps out right at the leaf springs and ive left some room betwenn the cat and adapter so i bet you could pull it off
climb under truck and look what would work best for you
and i dont wanna get any tube from like autozone cause its not mandrel bends plus i have to get a wierd bend to do it, a 90 degree down then a 90 degree to the left if you are looking from the front of the truck to the back, i havent decided if i would want adjust the bend so it comes out at an angle

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM
chris1974
Veteran

Okay...not to **** anyone off here...but that single pipe coming out below the plate looks stupid as hell. IMO

Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
00dakSport
All Star

ha ha, yea if ur talkin bout the old s10 that was my first truck an 88 w/v6fi
i ran a straight pipe out the muffler to make it louder, it worked and i had it on for like 3yrs.
Image0242adj.jpg
kept imports off my *** lol

Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Repo

Keep this in mind before you run staright pipes, the engine must have back presure from the exhaust for it to run properly,I would suggest a peformance tuned system.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

All depends on what goal you are trying to reach. form or function?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
00dakSport
All Star

i think u mighta missed what i was saying
i meant straight pipes after the muffler(s) no bends, not a straight exaust.
would the straight pipes w/ the right dia. still cause a loss of pressure?

i think a can't do straight pipes now anyway because of the trailer hitch+the big spare. if i run duals i might run them out the rear corners i think i've seen that done. my friend told me yesterday he knows a guy who did his whole nova in stainless. so i might get a whole setup for like 200 bucks and a case of beer.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM
rickmeseke
Professional

Originally Posted by 00dakSport
i think u mighta missed what i was saying
i meant straight pipes after the muffler(s) no bends, not a straight exaust.
would the straight pipes w/ the right dia. still cause a loss of pressure?

i think a can't do straight pipes now anyway because of the trailer hitch+the big spare. if i run duals i might run them out the rear corners i think i've seen that done. my friend told me yesterday he knows a guy who did his whole nova in stainless. so i might get a whole setup for like 200 bucks and a case of beer.
a shop shouldnt charge you more then AT THE MAX 100 bucks for just straight pipes.
i run straight pipes all the way back on my truck from the heads, no cat, and it only cost me 40 bucks. 2.5" pipe, duals out the back, and i have trailer hitch and 30" tire underneath. no problems

Quick Reply: Straight pipes?