2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Payload

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Can-Am? Why would you buy a Canadian piece of $hit... Oh sorry forgot you're from Canada ha. I would buy a Honda. I used to have a Rancher and beat the living hell out of it and it still runs like the day I bough it.
Honda is were its at. Yamaha is not all that bad either my friend has like 3,500miles on his 06 rhino still runs like new I think only thing they did to it other than oil changes is 1 bearing change.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM
wingerak92
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Can-Am? Why would you buy a Canadian piece of $hit... Oh sorry forgot you're from Canada ha. I would buy a Honda. I used to have a Rancher and beat the living hell out of it and it still runs like the day I bough it.
well, I am looking at power. The 2009 Can-Am outlander 500 has more power than the Grizzly 700. Plus, Honda isn't my cup of tea. The new ones are crap. Can-Am has the Rotax engine, which owns everything out there. Same engine they use in Ski-Doos.
Only Yamaha I will buy is the Yamaha FZR Waverunner next winter haha.

And for the sport quads, I want the Racks.. and a Can-Am Renegade is an Outlander without any racks. That is the only difference. It also has tighter steering due to it being made for speed rather than utility

Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Honda is were its at. Yamaha is not all that bad either my friend has like 3,500miles on his 06 rhino still runs like new I think only thing they did to it other than oil changes is 1 bearing change.
I raced motocross for 8 or 9 years and my hondas always lasted the longest. I had a kx125 that blew up like every other week then moved to the kx250f and that blew up a couple times... which gets expensive fast with the 4 strokes. Then went back to a crf and it always ran good and it never blew up. So with my experience they def. are the best. Same with my Rancher that got an a$$ beating but always took it like a champ. Rolled it, hit trees, and all sorts of stuff and never let up. I couldn't kill it if i wanted too.

I do like the Ski-doos though as far as snowmobiles, so I assume the Can-Am's are probably pretty good seeing it is the same engines. Although that RX-1 sled it badass.

Last edited by bpark8824; 08-18-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

You won't be fine, you'll snap the tailgate off with that weight. While the Dakota can handle over 1000lbs in the bed as payload, your talking about putting something that is still almost 3 ft longer then the bed itself onto the truck. Not only is your weight displacement uneven, but I really don't think the QC Dakotas are built to handle that much weight.

I could be wrong, but I still wouldn't put something that long in that bed. Even the 86in model is still putting an awful lot of weight onto the tailgate.

My advice, buy a trailer...

Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 PM
dandragonrage
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
My Z400 kicked the **** out of the Honda 400ex. Easily. Hands down.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
dandragonrage
Rookie

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
You won't be fine, you'll snap the tailgate off with that weight. While the Dakota can handle over 1000lbs in the bed as payload, your talking about putting something that is still almost 3 ft longer then the bed itself onto the truck. Not only is your weight displacement uneven, but I really don't think the QC Dakotas are built to handle that much weight.

I could be wrong, but I still wouldn't put something that long in that bed. Even the 86in model is still putting an awful lot of weight onto the tailgate.

A couple hundred pounds tops, not on the end of the tailgate, with tailgate supports (assuming he has them, and he should)?

Not a problem at all. And that total weight is nothing at all. You're wrong.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 AM
wingerak92
Captain

Total Dry Weight is 669LBS for the Outlander or 719LBS for the Outlander Max. The Max will fit as well btw. So about ~355LBS on the tailgate. Of course, that may not be true, because I am not sure of the weight distribution of the quad. I could also cut a sheet of plywood to extend from the front of the bed to the tailgate and that would help distribute the weight. But, I should be fine. My coworker loaded his 1000LB Rhino into his truck and had it sitting on the tailgate no problem. I will jsut have to check my cables more often.

Last edited by wingerak92; 08-19-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 AM
wingerak92
Captain

Originally Posted by DevilsReject

Also 3 feet is 36 inches. My bed is 63 inches long (5 foot 3") The bike is 86 inches. That is 23 inches longer or 2 feet less an inch

Old 08-19-2009, 02:03 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by wingerak92
Also 3 feet is 36 inches. My bed is 63 inches long (5 foot 3") The bike is 86 inches. That is 23 inches longer or 2 feet less an inch
I made the original comment based on the 96 in length you listed....

As for the tailgate, I still wouldn't trust anything that heavy on it.....

All it takes is one bend and you could be in trouble...

Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 AM
wingerak92
Captain

Honestly, A quad isn't that heavy. It is just like having two adults sitting on your tailgate. Acutally less weight than that. The weight is more forward on these machines anyways.

Quick Reply: Payload