2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

you CAN pop the clutch in an automatic..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default you CAN pop the clutch in an automatic..

WTH?

Sometimes when i first start my 3.9, it'll have this lion-like roar that increases with RPM. It goes away if i shut it back off and re-fire.

The other morning, it roared, so I shut it off while still in drive. BUT, when i turned the ignition back on, WHILE STILL IN DRIVE, the engine literally barked back to life, like a clutch in the transmission was still engaged. I never hit the start position, and i was still in drive so the neutral safety wouldnt have let the solenoid switch anyways.

again, WTH? I thought if there was no line pressure from the torque convertor, it effectively went into neutral? I mean, the tach read 0 when i cut the key off....But I don't see how it could fire without the starter if the engine isn't spinning? Unless the crank somehow was in just the right spot that one of the pistons was at TDC when the engine stopped, and the spark plug lit right as I turned the ignition on?

Quick Reply: you CAN pop the clutch in an automatic..