2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 no start, whirring noise near relays

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Richard98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 no start, whirring noise near relays

just got this 98 dakota and it doesnt start when i first turn the key to on there is a whirrring noise from right behing the relays seems like underneath where all the brake lines go to, im guessing its abs control, then when i turn it over the starter turns the engine and everything but no start

any info is appreciated just got the truck yesterday and have no idea

Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

My truck does that too- I think it's the fuel pump activating (our formula racers have to have the fuel pump on for 3 seconds to prime the system before the starter will activate, idk bout street systems)

Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If its the fuel pump you should be able to tell that its coming from the back of the truck not the front last week my truck did something like this just for the hell of it try to hold the gas pedal down when you are starting it(not very far just a little bit) I did this and my truck started right up never did find out what the problem was but have been driving it for a week no with no sign of it coming back.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Richard98

ok got her started the coil fuse was bad, then it died on me the next day so i checked the wires to the coil and found the clip holding the wire broken and fixed it. it is still acting funny every few starts it sputters a little and dies and if i turn the key off and turn it back on it starts right up, im confused

Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard98
ok got her started the coil fuse was bad, then it died on me the next day so i checked the wires to the coil and found the clip holding the wire broken and fixed it. it is still acting funny every few starts it sputters a little and dies and if i turn the key off and turn it back on it starts right up, im confused
Do you get a check engine light?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Richard98

no engine light and i drove it today to work and home then to a friends house and home no problems then went to the store and wouldnt start again just sputters and dies a few tries later starts just fine, has to be something stupid i dont have to work tomorrow ill check all the basic wires again

Last edited by Richard98; 09-16-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 no start, whirring noise near relays