2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 dakota not shifting right..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Junior M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 dakota not shifting right..

the title pretty much says it all..

I've got a 97 Dodge dakota extended cab SLT, 2wd. And it'll shift just fine, just kind of erratic, its not slipping or grinding or anything it shouldnt be, just doesnt shift. Like my Dad drove it home the other day(I was working) and when he came into the subdivision it didnt downshift, came around the corner in 4th gear and just lugged until he manually down shifted it..

So what should I look at?

Btw, I bought the truck for $900 the other night knowing it had some tranny problem. So no, I dont know how it started.. I have yet to have the opportunity to drive it more than like an 1/8th of a mile..

Old 09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Junior M

Just put it on my brother in laws computer thingy ma bobber, we think its the output speed sensor? Does that sound right?

Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Junior M

Back again, I've got it shifting but just not at the right times and it wont go all the way through the gear, I am pretty sure its the range switch, how do I adjust it? I've looked all over the internet and still cant figure out how to adjust it. Anyone know?

Quick Reply: 97 dakota not shifting right..