2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

gen2 quest

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009 | 11:34 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Why not consider a 1st gen? It will open up your options. May I ask why you are set on a 2ed gen? And why not 4WD? Why set on 2WD? I'm just curious

I can't find a V8 2WD, but if you know what the V6 is like then do. I only found 2 2WD 5-speed dakota's and both have the V6 for under 2500. I found one earlier today but it's been deleted. Try to talk him down, but I'm sure you will do that. All I'm saying is if you know what your getting into then do whatever you want. We are just trying to help you out based on what we know about 2ed gens, but if those options aren't out there then take what you can find.

Here's what's by me right now.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1401255155.html
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1403677276.html
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1377839086.html

Thats for under 5000 with under 100k, with 5-speed, 2WD.

Heres some more in MN.

http://rmn.craigslist.org/cto/1372683230.html

Old 10-03-2009 | 12:00 AM
Frenchy
Banned

my buddy just picked up a 2000 3.9L auto, single cab for 3200... nothing was wrong with it...

Old 10-03-2009 | 02:22 PM
shelbydaytona
|
Banned

this is the truck i was thinking of buyin sorry to create so much hostiltiy but those other trucks are not what i need. i must have extended cab cuz i have a 2yr old a dog and a wife so reg cab wont work. i have no use for 4wd never needed it dont care for it i'm not a red neck mud bogger, i really dont care if its v8 or v6 i dont have nothing to prove but id prefer v-6 as my insurance would be less. i need a manual trans. so since people think this truck with under 100,000 miles needing cluster fixed and heatercore isn't worth $2500, i only have 3000 to play with what can i get for 3000 in an extended cab wiht under 100,000 miles and 2wd and a stick? i've been looking for months and there's nothing to that level out there. and i already had a gen1 but i really like the gen2 better and it's a touch more roomier in the back for the kid and dog.

Old 10-03-2009 | 04:51 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

you said in the midwest..... do you not see snow in the winter? i love my R/T for the fact that it is an R/T.... but if i ever bought another dakota it would be a 4x4. i cant stand winter driving with this truck...

Old 10-03-2009 | 05:04 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Just go for it man. If you know how to fix the problems, then go for it.

Th reason why your not finding anything you want is because you have so many MUST HAVES, like MUST have stick, must have extended cab, etc. I understand these are all things you need, so I'm not trying to bad mouth ya, I'm just saying when you have that many things that you have got to have, it's gonna take awhile to find what your looking for. If you dropped the Must have 2WD, I bet you'd find a couple more, or if you dropped the must have a stick, you'd find ever more! I'm just saying, cause I wanted a stick badly, but I couldn't find one, but I did find my Dakota which had everything else that i was looking for, except for the manual trans. And I got a great deal on it, so i bought it. Yeah I miss my stick, but for what i got, I'm happy.

Old 10-03-2009 | 05:54 PM
shelbydaytona
|
Banned

i don't get why everyone gets bent when i'm specific in what i want to buy. i must have an extended cab because i have a family. i must have a stick because i hate automatic and i hate the service history of the automatics. i hate 4wd. i'll never own one ever again. infact ive never ever needed 4wd ever in my entire life. ive never got stuck, i never was stranded. the best vehicle i ever owned getting thru snow as an 88 omni 2.2 stick. id see them yahoo suv 4x4 butt head drivers in the ditch as i just happily go along. anyway i'm not buying the truck for a winter beater i need an extended cab truck so when i need to haul stuff, use my tow dolley, take my family to home depot to get building supplies. this gold truck is exactly what i'm looking for but yall scared my away from it because i'm hearing that its too much for the problems. so i'm gonna look at other manufacture trucks. whatta spose i can find for a extended cab 2wd manual trans truck for under 3000? i spend a couple hrs hunting thru ebay and craigslist and i cant find anything. oh and i dont want a full size truck, my garage is tight as it is.

Old 10-03-2009 | 07:05 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I wouldn't touch another 3.9 if my life depended on it. I bought my 02 4.7 4x4 >100k stick fully loaded for 6k a year ago. I KNOW you can find one for 5k thats in good condition that is a 5.2 or 4.7. Just need to keep looking.

I owned a 3.9 and it was horrible. A vehicle that comes with problems will only give you problems. I could fix all the problems I was having, but it just got to the point where I was fixing something like every other weekend. I got old and expensive.

If you can find a 4.7 manual. Jump on it fast. They are good trucks. I've had some problems with my truck, but the engine and trans are good and much more reliable than the 3.9.

If you're looking for other manufacture's tacos will be expensive, and the ranger and s10 are just so puny and underpowered.

And honetly you will probably be better off looking at 4x4's. I know you don't need it, but there are a lot more 4x4 daks out there than 2wd. So you may find a nice deal.

Old 10-03-2009 | 07:12 PM
shelbydaytona
|
Banned

i will never ever own a 4x4 dakota. the majority of problems i see on this board all stem from 4x4 probs. transfer case, front diff, auto trans, they eat up steering parts, i way prefer the rack and pinion steering of the 2wd. and i hate torsion bar suspension. besides i don't know of any 4x4 that gets better mileage as the same truck in 2wd. all yall will never convince me of owning a 4x4 dakota. aint never gonna happen. if i got one for free i'd sell it and use the money for something else

Old 10-03-2009 | 08:38 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Well good luck to you in your search for a truck but I'm not going to be replying here anymore. I wasn't getting bent over your choices, I was just trying to help you find the truck you want. If you are strongly set in what you want then get it. I'm sorry to have "questioned" your choices.

Old 10-04-2009 | 10:15 AM
shelbydaytona
|
Banned

just got back from buying a truck. nope not a dodge. came across a deal i couldnt refuse unfortunately it wont fit in the garage but it's an awsome truck. got a 1990 ford f350 crew cab xlt 5.8 efi 5speed 88,000 actual miles no rust one owner and in really nice shape. the guy selling is like 80 yrs old and it's been sitting in his drive for a couple years and it wont start. i could hear the fuel pump wasnt running. anyway i got it for $300. my dad is going to help me tow it to his house and i'll fix it there later today. i figure i can buy a lot of gas for the amount i saved over a dakota especially since the whole purpose of a truck was for intermittant use not a daily driver. i can toss on collector plates which will save me huge $

Quick Reply: gen2 quest