2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01' 4cyl Dakota Idles Very High

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 PM
rrobledo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' 4cyl Dakota Idles Very High

Replaced TPS with new one, did not work, followed all "re-calibration" procedures throughout various Dodge forums, did not work. Do not see any unhooked VAC hoses. Truck worked fine until this morning. No error codes. Q1 - Can a transmission issue cause this (have not experienced any but only started reving high this morning as I park on a grade and I double checked to make sure if I was on 1st and engine was off...truck sort of "slipped" could something have loosened----sorry, dumb question). Q2 - Can Joe Blo mechanic reset the TPS? Have not tried O2 or MAP sensors and would not even begin to know where they are.

Your're help is appreciated much!!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
carisu
Rookie

Sounds like TPS was the best place to start. I was having the same problem (engine idle high) with my 4.7L but it didn't have anything to do with the transmission. I was able to rest my TPS following some instructions found on the forum. If I remember right it basically involves disconnecting the battery, turning the key on for a bit, then hook the battery back up. It will take a few miles before the computer adjusts to your driving habits but everything worked fine for me after that. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

it'll be your MAP sensor, located on the drivers side of your TB.

Quick Reply: 01' 4cyl Dakota Idles Very High