2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

coolant leak help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:07 PM
stompk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry coolant leak help

well, i know this is a dumb post for a forum, but i'm getting really frustated.

I have a coolant leak. it puddles up under the bellhousing after i shut off the engine. i get about 1/2 cup of coolant whenever i turn it off. I can sit there idling for an hour and not a drip.

I thought it was from my intake manifold gasket, so i pulled them, and even found that my manifold was cracked from being over tightened (sigh, not me) - so i bought the mopar performance manifold and new gaskets and while I'm glad I did that, I still have the leak in the same place. I cannot see anything wet from any angle, except the bell housing.

some days my clutch gets really grabby and i think it might be getting wet too. I've got a new one in a box, and might be able to see the leak when i pull the trans, but i don't want the new clutch in if there is still a leak.

/walloftext

cliffs: i have a leak i cant find, dangit. rear of block.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well a few possibilities. One is that it is your engine blocks freeze plugs. They can get rusty and crack or shift just enough for a leak. Another is that it is the heater core lines that are leaking. Get a flashlight and look all around. If you have to buy a UV leak detector kit, easy to use and cheep and will get the job done fast!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
stompk

i googled the UV leak detector. neat. never heard of it. will try that. thanks !!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
NyghtProwler
Rookie

Same exact symptoms for me.......I wish members would post back what they found to help chumps like me to have a starting point.....

Guess checking the heater core again won't hurt......only a 6 hr job.....if your lucky and it's not freezing outside......

Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stompk
i googled the UV leak detector. neat. never heard of it. will try that. thanks !!
If your looking for the UV detector kit it took 5 seconds to find. http://www.id-usa.com/catalog.asp?CID=64

Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM
2000DakotaOwner
Default Coolant leak

I had the same problem. Never leaked before, then I added about half gallon of coolant to fill radiator to top. Then about a half-1cup puddle every morning. 1 month later, level is down and no more leaks. Though coolant is not to the top of radiator, temp stays at same level which is good and no problems. A friend said he had same problem on his 2003 and he had to replace a short hose that runs from the bottom of the water pump back into the block and that fixed his. I thought mine was leaking from the back of engine also but I traced it from the bottom to the same problem area, the water pump and them it just followed the oil pan to the back. I think I'll just leave mine well enough alone.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Street Legends

I have a 98 Dakota Sport and I just noticed it's leaking as well. Mine drips on the inside of the front bumper and then onto the ground. It's not much, slow leak. it appears it may be coming from the water pump or somewhere in that area, possibly the lower hose. I haven't looked into it much yet. I also have the smell of antifreeze in the cab of the truck.

Quick Reply: coolant leak help