2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Is this dual exhaust set-up bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Brutus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this dual exhaust set-up bad?

Ok, Im asking you guys because im going on my own thoughts here. But not knowing the Dodge engines that well, I thought I would ask.

This RT 5.9L I just got has a split after the cat and is dual out each side behind the rears. The previous owner just done it. Done very nice with SS. He must have paid good for it im sure. It is not that loud. But does sound like a Charger stock car from NASCAR when you get on it.
I have no way of knowing if it killed the low end, but that would be my gut feel. Adding a muffler after the cat help? Or leave it alone?
Like I said cant hear it at highway speed at all. So its not the noise is the issue. Any thought would be great from the experts here.

I would not have done this, but it is done now.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Exhaust can be a touchy subj around here and for good reason. there are many misconceptions about backpressure and such. what is best really depends on what other mods have been made to the engine as a whole and what the desired outcome of the exhaust is (sound,power,etc..). A lot of research and engineering went into the stock exhaust system and modifying it can be a ballancing act between the desired effects.
BUT, there is a lot of good info on here by pretty knowledgable people. do some searching and reading, and see where you stand then

Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM
chris1974
Veteran

yep...exactly. IMO, exhaust should be one of the last things to modify for that exact reason. The optimum set up for a motor that is basically stock (even with a few bolt-on mods) is stock set up. The exhaust on a stock vehicle has hours and hours of testing and engineering behind it. But, if you build the top end with a better intake, tb, programmer, etc, and maybe heads and headers, then you could have significant gains with changing up the exhaust setup. Unless you have sunk some serious money into aftermarket parts, the stock exhaust set up will flow just fine. Exhaust is a very touchy subject, and it's pretty much split right down the center when debating about back pressure and flow....but one thing is for sure....the more the motor is built before you change up the exhaust, the better the gains will be.
Just as wewanaplay said, do some extensive research on the basics of exhaust and try to come to a conclusion from there.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

soo.... am i correct in assuming there are no mufflers?
sounds like thats what you said....

anyways from your description that sounds like a super high flow setup, and yes, that will have an adverse affect on your low end grunt, you will gain it higher in the RPM range,

now, with that being said, you have a couple options

#1, leave it as it is, its the cheapest route, and if you do top end mods then you will overcome the loss of power at lower RPMs, and only gain even more at the upper ranges

#2, add a muffler, you will see a gain in low end grunt but your top end finish line hauls will be affected

#3, add 2 mufflers, one to each pipe, you will gain a little low end, and you wont lose as much in the top end,

I think you need to start posting pics of this truck sounds like a pretty nice machine

Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by chris1974
The optimum set up for a motor that is basically stock (even with a few bolt-on mods) is stock set up. The exhaust on a stock vehicle has hours and hours of testing and engineering behind it. .
this is true but, stock exhaust systems aim to reduce noise and emissions and to keep MPGs as high as possible to comply with federal regs.
therefore the stock setup is the worst setup you can put on a vehicle, no mods or mods, so exaust should be the first.. and the last thing to be modified on any car, first to free up the restrictions so any mods arent counteracted by a poor exaust flow, and last to tune for the type of driving you do

remember, what goes IN, must come back OUT, you do anything to add air or fuel your engine needs to be able to get that out as fast or faster than it goes in

Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Brutus

Not had a chance to clean it much, or get better pictures. This is it sitting in the garage...lol, nest to my Sable

RThome003.jpg

Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Brutus
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

whats in your sig pic?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Brutus

The previous owner told me it has a BUILT transmission. Bullit proof witha high stall. It burns second and barks in 3rd. Has a chip and head work with larger injectors. Not sure of the details. Block is stock I do know with 83k miles.
It will hang with my boosted CRX. Which is 1949 lbs and 200HP.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

nice i say boost the truck

Quick Reply: Is this dual exhaust set-up bad?