2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 v6 dakota overheated and wont start!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
arian5.0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 v6 dakota overheated and wont start!!

hey guys im new to this site since i just bought a 97 v6 dakota about a month ago.. and this happened. so i was on the expressway and i felt the car losing power when i accelerated.. as i get to work and get to a stop sign i notice the car lost most power, so im parking and about to put the car in reverse and the car starts stuttering like no power at all and then shuts off.. i get out and theres rusted water in the floor.. didnt realy checkthe gauges to see if the car was overheating but i try and turn the car on and it wont start.. what can this be? bad radiator? anything would help before taking it to the mechanic. anything answers would help.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome!

Was there any antifreeze in the radiator?

Size motor were working on and is it a 4X4?

Is the motor cranking or not?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
arian5.0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its a v6 magnum and i just noticed today during the day that in my driveway there was the same exact water( kinda rusted) as in my job.. but anyways its not a 4x4 its just a sport.. and i believe it has a leak so mayb since it had so little water in the rad it got so hot and it just bursted out through that bleeder it has by the cap on the right side by the battery.. so lets see waht happens when i put some antifreeze.. hopefully it didnt do any damage i didnt drive the car for long

Quick Reply: 97 v6 dakota overheated and wont start!!