2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hooking up Trailer brakes w/ controller. Do I have tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
mangohater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up Trailer brakes w/ controller. Do I have tow package?

I just got a trailer with the 7 pin conn. and a brake controller and am ready to install.
I am the only owner of my 01 dakota. When I bought it, I remember the dealer telling me it has a tow package that consisted of a larger battery and trans cooler. Is that what the tow package is?
I cant seem to find the connector by the parking brake. If I cannot find this connector plug, I assume that I don't have the wiring for the 7 pin w/ brake control?
I tried calling my dealership, but they only told me to plug an adapter into the 4 pin. They actually told me to call NAPA.
Should I just do all the wiring myself, or can someone recommend a dealership that is knowledgeable in this area. If all I need are a couple of harness parts, I would be happy to purchase them and save some $$. I am also considereing going to a local hitch house for install.
I have ordered my build sheet to see if it provides any info as to what my truck came with. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mangohater
I just got a trailer with the 7 pin conn. and a brake controller and am ready to install.
I am the only owner of my 01 dakota. When I bought it, I remember the dealer telling me it has a tow package that consisted of a larger battery and trans cooler. Is that what the tow package is?
It should have the hitch and the harness already set up too... as well as the brake controller plug in connection under the dash. The battery and trans cooler. are part of this option. On the 3rd Gens they offer different mirrors as well.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM
mangohater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I thought, but can't find the connector. I just called a local hitch place, and they will install and wire from scratch for $75.00 I am going for it since I could spend hours more on research and then still have to do it myself.
Still angry at my dealer ship.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats not a bad deal IMO. They can be a royal PITA to wire!

Quick Reply: Hooking up Trailer brakes w/ controller. Do I have tow package?