2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Problem w/ Anti-slip Differiential

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
dodgebrandon'00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem w/ Anti-slip Differiential

Recently I took my 2000 Dodge Dakota truck to the Dodge Dealership to repair a noise coming from my rear axle. The Dealership called back and gave me an estimate of $1,850 to completely rebuild my failed rain gear and pinons , plus side and carrier bearings inside the axle housing. I would love to repair this, but cannot afford it.

Can I simply have the anti-slip differential fluid replaced on this rear axle and continue to drive my vehicle without use of the Anti-Slip Differiential feature?? Any advice is extremely helpful!! Thank you in advance.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheapest option to repair this might be to find a new axle somewhere, junk yeard or craigslist, and swap the whole thing out. Maybe even upgrade to a better axle depending on what you had. As for the anti-slip, you could hunt for a new one with it.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Independentfool
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LSD is constant. there is no turning it on or off.

swapping out for a j/y rear end may be your cheapest fix. make sure the gear ratios are the same when/if you do this.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock units suck find a good shop not the dealer and get them to replace it with something that's not factory. I paid $700 to get a really really good LSD with everything replaced and labor in mine. It grips so much better than the broken crappy stock one It had in there.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and i think i drove on my broken one for a while but if it completley goes out you won't be happy so I would say to get it fixed somewhere else like i said. Have them fill it back up and hunt around for a shop.

Quick Reply: Problem w/ Anti-slip Differiential