2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fitting bigger tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM
DeadlyDakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting bigger tires

Ok, I know that everyone has posted, in some way or another, a thread about tires. This one is a little bit different. I am buying some 17x8's and putting on BFG 265/70R17 A/T's on them for my 2004 4x4 Dakota. My question is, does anyone have any experience with cutting the plastic from the front bumper to help bigger tires fit? I know I will have to do this and I don't want to go to some bodyshop and have them masacre my truck. It doesn't look that tough but I want a good appearance as well. I think I may have to cut the wheel well inner splash guards as well. I mean I measured the 265's on it now and when the wheel is turned it comes with in an inch or less of hitting the front bumper plastics during the turning process. I would like to see what it looks like on someone elses vehicle but I can't find anyone with a Dakota who has done this little bit of cutting. Thanks in advance for any information added to this thread, I really appreciate it.

Also, I have been reading alot on the torsion bar adjustments and I was wondering if anyone out there really does know if adjusting them will "definitely" affect the ride of the vehicle or anything else? It seems that this is a popular subject but no matter where you go and read up on this, there is no definitive answer. I have emailed dodge about a leveling kit that they supposedly offer for their trucks and yo ucan supposedly have installed at a dealership, however no response. I had talked to the manufacturer of Helo wheels and he said that down in Dallas they sell brand new trucks with this kits installed after the truck has been brought to the dealership. In otherwords, they are selling lifted trucks and there isn't any warranty issues at all. It is purchased just as any other brand new truck from the dealer. He told me that the only dealer who would be able to do this project would be one whom offers a performance shop through Mopar. No luck finding one yet here in Jersey, but if you know of any please post here. I really want to get this leveling kit for my truck and it would help with the tire issues rather than cutting the bumper plastics.

Quick Reply: Fitting bigger tires