2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone replaced a waterpump bypass hose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone replaced a waterpump bypass hose?

The bypass hose is the one located on the top side of the waterpump, on the side that's closer to the firewall. I have a slight leak coming from the tubing.

I spent 10 minutes kind of figuring out what I'm about to tackle. I could not see how long the bypass hose was, or where it even goes to. Has anyone replaced one of these? Do i have to remove the water pump to get at this tube or is there a quicker way?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have have one bolt holding it down. Then you can pull it off. It is held in by an O-ring. You can replace the O-ring. Get an assortment pack. Or go to your local dealer and buy a new tube. If I remember I paid $12 for a new one with new O-ring, mine was very damaged.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Jdb107
Professional

Where exactly is this bolt located? Is it accessable without removing the fan, water pump, ac unit, etc? Im pretty sure my water pump has never been replaced either, I think im going to replace it at the same time that I do this hose, seeing as its 11 years old.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For the bolt on the tube you don't need to remove anything to get to it. But to replace the water pump is defiantly way more involved. You can check the stickys for the service manual and see exactly what you have to remove to get to it.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Jdb107
Professional

There are 4 hoses coming out of the water pump. Its not the lower 2.5" one that comes from the fill up, its not the one that goes to the thermostat, and its not the one with the o ring. I just finished replacing the hose thats around 1.25" in diameter, around 4-5 inches of length that goes into the block. Was a pain in the *** to remove and replace it, had to undo the alternator + airconditioning condenser so i could move it up a couple of inches to stick pliers in and remove the hose. After that I put in a new water pump. Its all pretty straight forward, just tideous

Old 11-07-2009, 07:59 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

He's talking about the 3" or so hose on the top side of the water pump that is under the accesory braket I think. If so, it is a little bit of a pain to get to, and once you do you will probably have to cut it off because it might be baked on pretty good. But you are on the right track, and no, I don't think you will have much luck getting it out without removing the water pump.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
speer0331
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypass hose

i hav to replace the bypass hose also and i was wondering how to get the ac off, i hav the bolts off but i dont want to have to drain the freon out but i cant move it more than an inch or two each way without it, im working on a 3.9 v6 98 dakota.... thank you

Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I replaced my water pump I removed the little bracket holding the AC lines together, it's right there above the alternator. I also had removed the air intake housing and air hat off the top of my throttle body. After I unbolted the AC compressor and removed that AC line bracket I had enough slack in the hoses to set the compressor on top of the throttle body, well out of the way while I R&R'd the water pump. I took it a step further and twisted a piece of stiff wire through one of the bolt holes on the compressor and tied it off to the windshield wiper arm, just so the compressor would not fall from its perch on the TB.

Jimmy

Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional

those hoses are a pita to change i suggest just cutting the old one off then get the new one on one side then bend it and force it on the other side idk about taking the ac off to do it my truck dont have ac but that should be the only thing you have to take off if you need to cuz i didnt have to take anything off you might just have to fight with it for a bit

Old 05-01-2021, 05:19 AM
Shawn Scott
Default Bypass hose 2000 dodge Dakota

remove air conditioner just to the side don't disconnect lines remove alternator then remove bracket holding both then you will see bypass hose bout 5 inches long probably swollen like a balloon

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced a waterpump bypass hose?