2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Confusion on TTY bolts in the 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Confusion on TTY bolts in the 4.7L

So, I am putting the 4.7L engine back together per what the FSM says. Some bolts will be TTY and some will not. The only ones I have found that the manual says are TTY are my connecting rod bolts, and it says to not reuse them. The head bolts are not TTY, and it says you can reuse them. There is a lower bedplate with bedplate bolts and main bolts, nothing stated anywhere that these are or are not TTY. Anyone know?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Paints-n-cows
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything that I have read says that the rod bolts are TTY and I have never found anything about the head bolts at all.

If you read the specs on torquing the headbolts, they are all in ft-lbs. Usually TTY will show ft-lbs and then another 90 degrees of rotation of the bolt....at least they have been in my experience.

Let me know if you find anything else out.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I agree. Rod bolts are TTY. And I had initially thought anything with a torque then a 90 degree was as well, however, I don't believe the main bolts are on the lower block, you torque to 25 in-lbs then a 90 degree turn. And the head bolts are torqued to 15 ft-lbs then a 90 degree turn, so that kind of shot the 90 degree turn theory being tty for me.

As best I can tell, all the bolts in the lower bedplate are not TTY, and the information on airram's site is potentially incorrect when it states they are. Not saying it is, but I would like to find solid information backing up either case.

Last edited by dbilik; 11-12-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

i cant stand TTY bolts, and I always swap to ARP bolts whenever possible.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:11 PM
JeffreyCan
Default Same Dilemma

Originally Posted by dbilik
So, I am putting the 4.7L engine back together per what the FSM says. Some bolts will be TTY and some will not. The only ones I have found that the manual says are TTY are my connecting rod bolts, and it says to not reuse them. The head bolts are not TTY, and it says you can reuse them. There is a lower bedplate with bedplate bolts and main bolts, nothing stated anywhere that these are or are not TTY. Anyone know?

I’m faced with the same thing here on my neighbor’s 2002 1500 4.7L. Wanted to know what you decided to do and what the results were. Thanks.

Service manual states they are not TTY head bolts and on previous page give inspection instructions to preform on the bolts for threads and stretch. The bolts I removed passed and I kept them in orientation. I got the thread lock and sealant for the M8 head bolts. The M8’s I removed did not have the thread lock sealant. So it appears these bolts have been replaced and are not the factory mentioned non TTY, to add to my dilemma.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

When in doubt, replace them.

Generally though, if bolts ARE TTY, the service manual will flatly state that, and tell you to install new ones.

Quick Reply: Confusion on TTY bolts in the 4.7L