2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New guy needs transmission help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 AM
N2GNZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needs transmission help...

Hey guys, Damien here, I've got a 2000 Durango SLT Plus running a 4.7/45rfe combo. When I got the truck, there was a 3 wire plug on the passenger side of the tranny just above and midway of the pan with all 3 wires burned thru from the exhaust. They were all shorted together and I knew this wasn't good, so I trimmed them up and took the plug out of the socket until I had time to fix the wires. So that day came about 3 weeks ago and I instantly noticed a difference in the way it shifted. I'm thinking all is well. Um, nope. So last week it started to not release torque when coming to a stop. The truck would lunge forward and want to keep going like it's not disengaging for the stop. The truck would surge and if I held the brakes harder to hold it still it would stall. Reverse is the same way (I found this out trying to back up my motorcycle trailer into the driveway...fun...). So I had the wife take it to a transmission shop and all they told us was the tranny was running hot and there was an electrical code, but didn't say what it was (the diagnosis was free, I'm sure they just wanted money from me.) I really can't afford 1500 to 2 grand for a rebuild, let alone a new tranny. Any suggestions?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM
N2GNZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Mods, I realized I posted this in the Dakota page after I hit submit. I copied it over there already, so you can delete it here if you wish. Maybe some of the truck guys might know what's going on too...

Quick Reply: New guy needs transmission help...