2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering/Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM
United
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/Suspension Problems

I've been having some problems with the steering ever since I bought my truck just over a year ago.

Here's the issue as it is now:

When I am driving, there is a constant pull to the right; most of the time. Occasionally it will track straight, and sometimes it gives me a hint of death wobble but quickly goes back to pulling right once I've turned the wheel a bit. I've had all of the tie rods and ball joints replaced because they had ~135k miles on them. This made no difference. I got a 4 wheel alignment and again, that made no difference.

Just recently I noticed that the right side of my truck sat higher than the left. So I checked the torsion bars and saw that they were not even close to being equal. I adjusted them, and stayed in factory specs, and now the truck sits level. Again, no difference.

The frame is straight, I have four brand new tires (<1000miles) that are all properly balanced and rotated. There is plenty of PS fluid and it is not leaking.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to check for that could be causing my issues? I'm not too experienced with steering components, but if a description of what I'm looking for is posted then I can find it and take a look.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to see if your brakes are sticking, it can be a problem with the calipers that forces it to bind on what sounds like your passenger side

check tire psi

how long have you had the truck for? does it look like any of the control arms or anything are bent? how is the alignment of the steering wheel?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
United
Rookie

I don't think the brakes are the issue. However, they are on the list to be replaced since its about that time. Tire PSI is the same all the way around.

I've had the truck for about a year and a half now. I don't think the control arms are bent, but I could be wrong. The guy that did my tie rods/ball joints said everything else in that area looked pretty good so I took his word for it. I'll take a look and see what they look like though.

The alignment of the steering wheel is correct, I'm assuming. When I let go of it, it snaps to the correct position but the truck begins to pull to the right immediately. When I drive I usually have to hold the wheel to the left a bit (think normal 12 o'clock position being held at 11) to counter the pull.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
United
Rookie

Just took a pretty good look at the truck. I took the calipers off and the brakes look perfectly fine to me. There is no indication of them sticking or rubbing on anything. The pads are fairly old, but still have plenty of life in them. All of the control arms look fine. The wheel hubs on both sides (front) are pretty rusted, but there is nothing that looks out of place or messed up. Could a bad wheel bearing cause my problem? There is a slight squeaking sound that comes from the front right wheel occasionally, but it is always very faint and goes away as quickly as it comes.

I went back and looked at my repair receipts and remembered that I only got the inner tie rods replaced, not the outer. However, the outer rods still look good.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by United; 11-24-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Steering/Suspension Problems