2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Squeak??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:51 AM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak??

Hey guys. I'm really getting upset at my Dakota. As you all probably know, I got my rack replaced and recently my left side tie rod. They replaced the tie rod on friday, april 9, 2005. I noticed something squeaking on the left side sunday, april 11, 2005. But it was very slight. Today, I notice that I hear it and sort of feel it in the steering. But its not when I just turn.. like onto another road. It only happens when you go up an embankment, such as turning into a gas station, or something of that sort. It creaks and you sort of feel it in the steering. its only when I turn left when I go up the embankment, not when I turn right. The guys at the repair shop didn't know what to say, and told me actually to go to the dodge dealership in town. I just don't get it at all. The dodge guys didn't have a clue. So I called a really great friend that owns a auto repair shop with his dad and he's gonna take a look, but he said it sounded like a possible bad ball joint (which i JUST had replaced, and I told him that), or strut, etc. What could it be, any suggestions? I don't care if it costs a little bit to fix.. I just want to get it over with. I need to have my truck to drive to minneapolis this weekend (from Wis. Rapids, WI about 4 hours away) and I need it to drive around in minneapolis and then back to Rapids on sunday (i'm leaving friday, its for a AAA hockey tournament that I'm coaching a team in). I want to know that it will get me there and back. I'm really paranoid about my dodge now more than ever, and just don't depend on it much at all right now. I'm not one to put up with something for very long. I either get rid of it or whatever. I love my truck otherwise. Perfect for me. Help me guys!

hooby

Old 04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Default RE: Squeak??

any help or suggestions guys.. I talked to a mech. and he said the ball joints could already be bad? is that true? He said he has heard of a few cases where the ball joints can go bad already.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Spear_em

I know how frustrated you are. I have been hearing a rattle noise on my left front that sounds like somethings loose. I think Im going to get it looked at. Oh and when you had the recall done; I dont think they replace the part, I think they grease it. I told my dad when I had the recall done it only took an hour. He said than they didnt replace them because it would take longer than an hour to replace 2 ball joints. Granted I haven't had the thunking noise you have (knock on wood , or formika).

Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

so I let the guys look at it today and they found out that the ball joints were brand new (wasn't a dodge dealer) and the tie rod was perfectly fine. What they DID find was that the bushings were dry and that was causing the squeak and the "grind" because they were so dry. They lubed them up and they worked.. although I told them to order some new ones and just change them out. They cost $6 each and I need 2 and it takes 10 - 15 minutes to put them in. So thats a no brainer. Then he said there were two on the sway bar that were bad and those cost the same so I told him to order those too. I drove it a little and the sound is gone, but he said that it COULD come back, but it won't effect the steering at all. So I'm driving to Minneapolis and I'm glad that I got it checked out so quickly! Anyway, that could be the problem. As far as a rattle it could be a loose tie rod or sway bar, but have it checked out!

hooby

Old 04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

hey guys. I took the truck to a good friend and a mechanic. Tom-Lin Towing. And he found that the new tie rod end was making the noise inside the ball joint because the new ball joint has the nylon cup and the tie rod end just rubs inside the ball joint. So I called the place where I got it replaced (CW Tire) and so incase I had to get it covered under warranty. Well I told them what they told me at Tom-Lin and they greased the tie rod end (not the ball joint) and it cured it! Now I'm good to go!

hooby

Quick Reply: Squeak??