2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exhaust and Intake System
Print Wikipost

4.7 dual exhaust with flowmaster review

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
2000DakotaOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 4.7 dual exhaust with flowmaster review

2000 Dakota quadcab 4x4, 4.7 V8, auto.

I cut the factory muffler off, welded in a single 1 inlet and 2 outlet flowmaster 40 series muffler. So thats 2 manifold pipes into one(factory), then into one flowmaster muffler, 2 outlet pipes from muffler strait out the back near middle by hitch. I am very pleased with sound. I get asked by strangers everyday what kind of setup I have. They can't believe it's a 4.7 liter. Very deep, throated sound from idle to highway without the raspy, metal bucket sound when you get own it. INTERIOR NOISE is probably a 3 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the loudest, muffler directly under back passenger seat. EXTERIOR NOISE is 7-8.5 maybe. Not that stupid what a teenage likes loud but you're not gonna sneak up on anyone either. Cannot determine any mileage gain, perhaps a slight power gain or maybe I just feel more powerful with that grunt sound. Most 4.7L I've seen with TRUE dual exhaust sounds way too raspy, weak and high pitched as rpms climb due to not enough back pressure and loss of torque due to this. But all this is just my opinion and Most muffler shop techs I talked to while researching mine.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what series muffler and you can't beat my setup on the 4.7 hehe super deep and sounds knarly as hell when you shift past 3500 if only i could get a good vid of it somehow lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taoKPIOcTDc if only my stupid camera wouldn't have shut off on that vid lol i'll have to make a new one but sounds like you like yours and vids always help

Old 12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000DakotaOwner
Most 4.7L I've seen with TRUE dual exhaust sounds way too raspy, weak and high pitched as rpms climb due to not enough back pressure

Yours isnt a TRUE dual exhaust. deffinition of true duals is one exhaust coming off the right bank straight back. and one pipe coming off the left bank and straight back. 2 completely different pipes and technically 2 completely different systems.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 Dakota quadcab 4x4, 4.7 V8, auto.

I cut the factory muffler off, welded in a single 1 inlet and 2 outlet flowmaster 40 series muffler. So thats 2 manifold pipes into one(factory), then into one flowmaster muffler, 2 outlet pipes from muffler strait out the back near middle by hitch. I am very pleased with sound. I get asked by strangers everyday what kind of setup I have. They can't believe it's a 4.7 liter. Very deep, throated sound from idle to highway without the raspy, metal bucket sound when you get own it. INTERIOR NOISE is probably a 3 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the loudest, muffler directly under back passenger seat. EXTERIOR NOISE is 7-8.5 maybe. Not that stupid what a teenage likes loud but you're not gonna sneak up on anyone either. Cannot determine any mileage gain, perhaps a slight power gain or maybe I just feel more powerful with that grunt sound. Most 4.7L I've seen with TRUE dual exhaust sounds way too raspy, weak and high pitched as rpms climb due to not enough back pressure and loss of torque due to this. But all this is just my opinion and Most muffler shop techs I talked to while researching mine.
I have a 2003 QC with same configuration, but a FM 50 series and love it. Keeps low and mid range strong, sounds great but stays "mean" sounding at high rpm's (don't like raspy either)

Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
what series muffler and you can't beat my setup on the 4.7 hehe super deep and sounds knarly as hell when you shift past 3500 if only i could get a good vid of it somehow lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taoKPIOcTDc if only my stupid camera wouldn't have shut off on that vid lol i'll have to make a new one but sounds like you like yours and vids always help
I like that Hooker. I think I'm going to get an Aerochamber muffler. SI/SO though because I'm cheap lol. The DO might even take away some of the low end torque, which I want to keep.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
chris1974
Veteran

Like tamcnaly said....it isn't true duel exhaust. And I doubt you had any power gains (despite what flowmaster says). It probalby just feels like you did.

I never did like the way any of the flowmasters sounded on my 4.7. Tried two of them before I finally ended up with my magnaflow.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 AM
2000DakotaOwner
Default True Duals

Apparently there's a bunch of illiterate retards in here. It was a COMPARISON to a truck WITH TRUE DUALS, never was it stated as having true duals. Thus the reason for the DETAILED description of the set up. GOOSHHH! I thought I stated it simple enough but apparent not. I think any idiot that read "single muffler" would know it's not "true duals" but a couple of you feel the need to state the obvious to those of us that already get it.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Dave's not here
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
What set up do you have...your Dak sounds wicked. I gotta get my wifes to sound like that.
I have Magnaflows on my Magnum and they sound sweet....took the middle resonator off and Holy Crap it was awesome..... true dual on both vehicles would be the best.
Thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 AM
bpark8824
Champion

He has a highflow cat to a Hooker Aerochamber SI/DO. I believe, right playmaker?

This is similar to the setup I'm going to be putting on my truck over christmas break.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Apparently there's a bunch of illiterate retards in here. It was a COMPARISON to a truck WITH TRUE DUALS, never was it stated as having true duals. Thus the reason for the DETAILED description of the set up. GOOSHHH! I thought I stated it simple enough but apparent not. I think any idiot that read "single muffler" would know it's not "true duals" but a couple of you feel the need to state the obvious to those of us that already get it.
The way you said it made it seem like most with TRUE duals are raspy, but your true dual doesn't sound that way. I pretty sure thats how they read it, and its how I read it the first time. You don't need to get all defensive and act like an idiot. You could have explained youself with out calling us illiterate retards... calm down guy

Quick Reply: 4.7 dual exhaust with flowmaster review