2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans fluid 99 dakota with 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Rossrosant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid 99 dakota with 5 speed

Is there a special additive for the 5 speed transmission in the 99 dakota with the 3.9l???

Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
primus454
Professional

Use penzoil syncromesh. It is one the only one you can get at a local shop that is OEM spec.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Rossrosant
Default 99 dakota trans fluid

I am deff going to look into it thank you . My truck we changed the trans fluid cause everytime you try to put it in first gear from a stop , you cant. When your rolling slow it goes right in and it shifts perfect through all the gears just if you come to a complete stop and try to put it in first its a no go , gotta shot it off or roll backwards to get it in.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think its a common thing for that first gear problem do you notice it in reverse too? mine does it as well and while changing the fluid i would say helped a little bit something i've gotten used to doing is going to second and then first and 5 and then reverse and if you go into second first it slides right into first and it always goes easy into second i guess it lines the synchros up or something that is with and without the hurst shifter too so its def the trans.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primus454
Use penzoil syncromesh. It is one the only one you can get at a local shop that is OEM spec.
He has an AX15, not an NV3500, I don't believe the AX15s take synchromesh like our NVs...

Problems getting the tranny into gear from a stop are almost always related the clutch hydraulics, as in there's a leak and air has entered the system.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Rossrosant

Hmm yea if i am coming to a stop i just downshift from about 10 miles an hr. or even less and just before i come to a complete stop i put it in first and it goes right in like butter. Reverse i have no problems with it grinds a little going to reverse but just for a half of a sec and always goes right in but i dont belive the reverse in syncronized. not sure but yea first is my only prob and im deff going to look into it some more. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Trans fluid 99 dakota with 5 speed