2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans fluid 99 dakota with 5 speed

Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Rossrosant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid 99 dakota with 5 speed

Is there a special additive for the 5 speed transmission in the 99 dakota with the 3.9l???

Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
primus454
Professional

Use penzoil syncromesh. It is one the only one you can get at a local shop that is OEM spec.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Rossrosant
Default 99 dakota trans fluid

I am deff going to look into it thank you . My truck we changed the trans fluid cause everytime you try to put it in first gear from a stop , you cant. When your rolling slow it goes right in and it shifts perfect through all the gears just if you come to a complete stop and try to put it in first its a no go , gotta shot it off or roll backwards to get it in.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think its a common thing for that first gear problem do you notice it in reverse too? mine does it as well and while changing the fluid i would say helped a little bit something i've gotten used to doing is going to second and then first and 5 and then reverse and if you go into second first it slides right into first and it always goes easy into second i guess it lines the synchros up or something that is with and without the hurst shifter too so its def the trans.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primus454
Use penzoil syncromesh. It is one the only one you can get at a local shop that is OEM spec.
He has an AX15, not an NV3500, I don't believe the AX15s take synchromesh like our NVs...

Problems getting the tranny into gear from a stop are almost always related the clutch hydraulics, as in there's a leak and air has entered the system.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Rossrosant

Hmm yea if i am coming to a stop i just downshift from about 10 miles an hr. or even less and just before i come to a complete stop i put it in first and it goes right in like butter. Reverse i have no problems with it grinds a little going to reverse but just for a half of a sec and always goes right in but i dont belive the reverse in syncronized. not sure but yea first is my only prob and im deff going to look into it some more. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans fluid 99 dakota with 5 speed