2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

REALLY annoying squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM
raiders98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry REALLY annoying squeal

Today I decided to clean my engine, so I sprayed some degreaser on it, then I rinsed it off with a low pressure. After that I started it up, and now I have a rediculously loud squeal comeing from my AC compressor area. Idk if it's the belt or what, any ideas what it could be? Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely is the belt. It most likely absorbed some of the de-greaser and water. Give it a couple days and it should dry out. If it doesn't then you starting figuring out which pully is squealing. Could be the compressor but its more than likely the alternator or power steering pump. They don't like water.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
raiders98
Rookie

Thanks. If it's not the belt and its the alternator or something, is it gonna have to be replaced? :/

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah most likely. if it is the alternator I'd try and dry it out as much as possible and see if that helps.

My money is on the belt though, so give it a couple days. If it doesn't go away then start worrying.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 PM
raiders98
Rookie

Alright. I think it's probably the belt, cause it's not like i soaked it or anything. I barely sprinkled the alternator. If it's the alternator its not a big deal for me to replace it, it would just suck the spend the money on a new one. Thanks for the info

Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did the same after I had mud/water up to the past fog lights. I got a new belt and it fixed the problem which it was 23.99 at autozone for a duralast belt. Then last week out at camp I crossed the creek doing a little fast and it started again so I got home and took the belt spun all the pulleys and they were fine put the belt back on and the noise was gone. I suggest taking the belt off and putting it back on to see what happens it only takes like 2 min

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

get a can of silicon lube from somewhere and spray that on the belt should get rid of the noise. Thats what i did.

Quick Reply: REALLY annoying squeal