2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Anybody know what this part is and what it's used for???

Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM
luvdogz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know what this part is and what it's used for???

Yesterday we changed out our bumper and, while doing so, spotted this large bar attached to the frame of the truck directly behind the bumper. What is it and what is it used for? (no laughing, I'm female and still learning) The truck is a 2001 Dakota QC, 3.9L, 6 cyl., 4X2 with the towing package. It has a tranny cooler, wiring, etc. and I thought the ball on the bumper was used for light towing. Now I'm thinking this bar might be a factory installed hitch that needs a receiver. Am I correct? If not, why is this huge bar hanging out on the rear of my truck with no obvious purpose? (remember, don't laugh) In the picture you'll see the bar and the two end pieces that are attached to the frame. The silver piece you see is the back of the license plate on the bumper. I had to lie on the ground and look up for this picture so, to see it correctly. you'll have to lie on the floor and look up at your computer screen. Just kidding...... So, I know there is somebody out there somewhere who knows exactly what this part is and it's use and I'm hoping you'll take a minute and let me know. Any info would be great and appreciated!! Thanks for your time in helping me out!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DCP_0020.jpg (97.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-05-2009, 05:32 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

weird, ive seen a lot of daks and never seen one of those. looks like an import killer if you ever get rear-ended...

Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Upper

I think that is whats left of your towing package.Upper

Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, +1 to what batman said. That's nothing I've ever seen before either. It doesn't look like part of a trailer hitch. It almost looks like something someone installed to act as a bumper for a rollpan.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Thats a fine question. When I get under mine there isnt a damn thing there, not even a spare. its just a big empty space.

I hope someone know and posts with an answer cause now I need to know lol

Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 AM
2000DakotaOwner
Default strange bar

Dont worry gurlFRIEND....it's just a secondary bumper since the one you see on the outside bends so easily.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
timarc124

I have the same huge round tubing between the spare tire and the bumper and I don't know for what it's used for !

Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

mine too

its almost floating there...it can be moved easily....not sure what its used for....i had a friend at a dodge dealership look and he said it was a balancing weight for towing a trailer....but who knows

Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Default What is this part and what is it used for??

Thank You ALL for taking the time to help me out!! You know I DO APPRECIATE it!! But......we still don't know exactly what this piece is so don't give up, okay? Keep asking around and I will too. If anyone finds out, let me know by a PM and I will do the same for each one of you who replied. It's just gonna drive me crazy if I don't find out FOR SURE. Thanks, again, everyone!! You guys are the best!! REALLY!!!!!!

P.S. So, now if I want a trailer hitch, do I buy the complete hitch with receiver or does the truck just need a reciever that I can attach to the
frame or bumper? (no laughing)

Last edited by luvdogz; 12-06-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

no no PMs arent allowed for this, the rest of us wanna know too lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody know what this part is and what it's used for???