2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
NCBassmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID conversion

I have a '03 Dakota and was wanting to install some HID lights. I've been told that I shouldn't get them for the fog lights b/c it might melt the housing. Is that true or is it ok to install them? And how important is it to have the relay system with those lights. I've heard about some HID lights not working right b/c they don't have the relays installed. Is that true too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

correct me if I'm wrong but i think all HID and aux lights come with a relay. atleast thats how it was with my piaas.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
NCBassmaster

Well I've heard of people not putting the relay in with the lights and it causes the lights to come off and on. Do you know anything about the fog lights?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:10 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

The relay is a safty item, it keeps the high current out of the cab and under the hood. Its best to keep the high current wiring as short as possible. I would use them and if they cause problems then go from there.

I also know that HIDs are illegal in housing that are not designed for them. I would think that the HIDs will melt the fogs for sure.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM
thunder98110
Champion

i think if you do HIDs in the headlight you should be fine. if you want a bright set of fogs just go with piaa or hella either mount em on the front bumper or mod the existing fog light hole.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM
RunsWithStick

It's illegal to put HID bulbs in existing fog lamps and headlights. You have to get the whole setup because the reflectors are different. I read an article about this, and I'm trying to find the article online, but it has a lot of great information. Those folks that get the lamps and install them into existing headlamps and fog lamps are ruining their night vision while driving, because it lights up so much of the area just in front of the vehicle that their down-range vision is worse, because of the dilation of the pupils and such.

If you get the fog lamps that are made for HID lamps, then you should be okay.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:39 PM
NCBassmaster

How do you think it would look with HID headlights and like a blue tinted fog?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM
RunsWithStick

I just replaced my headlamps and fog lamps yesterday when I did my CAI, and I almost bought the blue-tinted fog lamps. I think it would improve your lighting a lot, and help see those lanes whether there's fog or rain. I wish I had gotten the blue-tinted ones, but I went for the white-light Sylvania ones.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
thunder98110
Champion

well you get HIDs in different tempatures which is in degrees Kelvin. it ranges from like 3000k=yellow to like 12000k=purple. so you will have to choose. and from what i heard driving with dark blue heads or fogs makes your eyes tired at night. if you want good visibility go with yellow. i bought hella optilux bulbs that put out a nice yellow at night, not hid though.

Quick Reply: HID conversion