2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Out of Control Throttle/Brakes in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM
DennisCon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Control Throttle/Brakes in Cold Weather

My son had a bad morning yesterday:
As he was pulling into his parking spot at our snow-covered school lot, the engine jumped to toward 4K RPM and pushed past the RWABS, running the truck into a parked car (no injuries). The front brakes locked as he increased brake pressure (reaction) and the truck just pushed through. As he backed away, the engine was still surging and it was difficult for him to control. I saw his tracks in the snow and it indeed looks like this happened as he described (I was not there when this happened). There was evidence of both sliding forward and rearward wheelspin. This is the first time anything like this has happened - never misbehaved at all before. The engine was warmed up, he was simply rolling up into his regular parking spot at idle.
He is honest (he immediately called me once he got the truck safely parked) an amazingly-careful driver and prides himself on being a good driver in the snow (we get lots here) in 2WD. He was not in 4WD.
After school, we went out and he reenacted the whole thing (without the collision). He said the brakes were grabby & locking up whenever he used them on the way in that morning. Even when driving it to school this morning, there was no problem.
I drove it home and could not replicate the problem; however, it was much warmer (9°) then, and he had been parked in the sun.
We are experiencing subzero weather here; is there a causal relationship? Might there be ice in the brake system?

Last edited by DennisCon; 12-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The increased throttle probably was the IAC. Idle Air Control solenoid. The brake issue may just have been a stuck caliper, or master cylinder.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM
DennisCon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it checked at the local garage - they found nothing irregular. Since that incident, the truck has behaved normally.
Weird...

Quick Reply: Out of Control Throttle/Brakes in Cold Weather