2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Driveshaft Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 AM
DakotaGuy97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Help

I have a 97 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Club Cab with a 5.2L engine and 44RE Automatic Transmission and I have had a driveshaft issue for roughly about a year now. It started out by having a bad u-joint, so I replaced the u-joint but the driveshaft got out of balance (I replaced the joints with greaseable neapco joints). To make a long story short, I have had the shaft re-tubed, and balanced like 3 times, and I still have a vibration starting at 70 mph and higher speeds. Seems to smooth out around 90 mph. Other than that the truck drives perfect around town, but the vibration is driving me insane. I may not have given great detail, so feel free to ask questions. But I need help or some advice, specs, reputable companies, anything. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To get the obvious out of the way, have you checked for bent axle shafts, bent wheels, out of balance tires, etc.? And are you 100% sure they ujoint you put in is the right one for your application?

One thing to check... not sure why it would be off unless you're not telling us something though... measure the transfer case output shaft to driveshaft angle and pinion to driveshaft angle and make sure they are within 3 degrees of each other.

One question though... if you were having bad vibrations in the drivetrain, what in the world made you think that truck was safe to hit 90mph in?!!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM
DakotaGuy97

I noticed a difference after I replaced the joints. I replaced both of them since one gave out figured the other would eventually. I've had new joints put on everytime the shaft was taken. I have checked bent axles, out of balance tires as well. It's not really harsh vibrations I actually notice that noise gets considerably louder as soon as you reach that speed. The truck is safe to drive fast so I wasn't worried about driving that fast. Absolutely have not had any problems with that truck besides this. I don't off road very much to mess some stuff up as well. But to make a long story short I've noticed a considerable amount of noise when reach higher speeds. Chassis noise that was there right after joint replacement.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
primus454
Professional

These are trucks, they are create ALOT of wind resistance. You are going to feel the shakes at those speeds. If you want a streamlined ride at 70mpg, get a sports car.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Help