2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota Phatom wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM
chipshort
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota Phantom wipers

My 2001 Dakota 4.7 4x4 wipers have started turning on by themselves at random times. I can only get them to stop by turning the engine off. Now they are wiping twice everytime I start the engine as well. I have replaced the switch on the stalk, but that failed to resolve the issue. It's starting to get worse.

Any ideas? Could it be the park sensor on the motor? or am I looking at the control module?

Last edited by chipshort; 12-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the body control module. I don't know if the dealer can diagnose that or not. You make be stuck with switching parts until it works.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Usually when wipers work by themselves like that it means either the park circuit in the wiper motor is bad or the motor itself is bad. When my wipers went bad they were swiping at odd intervals on delay. Twice, the stop then 3 times then twice then stop and so on like that. The motor was bad which caused the erratic operation. I would think your motor is bad, not your CTM. See if you have voltage at the motor connector at the Red/Gray wire for high speed and at the purple wire for low speed. If voltage is present there when you set those speeds on the wiper control arm, I would think chances are the CTM is OK and you need a new wiper motor. The Dodge dealer can use the DRB scan tool to test the CTM to be sure it is working OK.

Jimmy

Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wipers went off on their own sometime when my CTM went bad... but there were a lot of other things that were wrong too.

And to clear things up to the OP,
body control module is the same thing as a CTM.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
My wipers went off on their own sometime when my CTM went bad... but there were a lot of other things that were wrong too.

And to clear things up to the OP,
body control module is the same thing as a CTM.
+1 to that mine did the exact same thing, wipers freaked out twice, then about 2-3weeks later all lights stopped working, it was my ctm cost me $250 just for the part and put it in myself, no power locks or anything so it didn't have to be programmed

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota Phatom wipers