2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

bad pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 AM
dodgeheller99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad pcm?

recently hit a wall on the highway on the driver side, i had to replace the fender, bumper, battery tray, radiator support, and the lights, thats really about it... i have driven about 300 miles sense the accident, it runs fine, drives great, zero problem, my washer fluid is full, my cruise still works, my OD goes on and off when i want it,ect.... except that my dash looks like this, none of the gauges work (the motor is on,and im going 20),and the only code it throws is the speed sensor, even though i have no cat... by reading the hanes manual everything points to the PCM second connector... what do you think... BTW i have an auto trans, with a manual shift light on(lil triangle)
download.jpg

Last edited by dodgeheller99; 12-17-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM
runyonracing
Amateur

Your the first person I've found that has a simular problem. I have been struggling for 3 months now trying to fix mine. I started out with a P0720 output speed sensor CEL. Along with that my speedo would bounce around. Then it started going in and out of lockup on the convertor. I changed the speed sensor on trans 3 times with no results and changed the abs speed sensor on rearend with no results. Was thinking about the pcm, but I ended up changing the gauge cluster instead with no results. Just today, this morning I had additional problems, the tach started jumping, the odometer was flashing, and check gauge, low fuel light came on and all the gauges went to zero. After work I reached in and started it, and it died shortly after. I cranked it again, and now it won't start. Cranks fine but won't fire. I noticed that when you turn the key on none of the idiot lights will come on, its like I have no juice but it cranks fine. Hope you figure out your problem. I bought a pcm on ebay and now have to find someone to program it.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

have you checked the wiring to the speed sensor? I had an issue with the speedo jumping because of that. Have you done the Cluster check?

I believe you hold the speed button and turn the key or something It's in the manual.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Berto612

runyonracing,
I had the same thing happen with my 2000 Dakota. I was riding along, it stalled, the gages went crazy. I started it up and got back home. I went to start it again later on and it just turns over like it's not getting spark or fuel.

Last edited by Berto612; 12-18-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 AM
dodgeheller99
Rookie

Originally Posted by varsis
have you checked the wiring to the speed sensor? I had an issue with the speedo jumping because of that. Have you done the Cluster check?

I believe you hold the speed button and turn the key or something It's in the manual.

by cluster check are you taking about the key trick? the 99 doesnt flash the codes, and i have a scanner anyways, speed sensor is good, just checked it the other day and it is under 3 months old.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:45 AM
dodgeheller99
Rookie

I FOUND IT, I FIXED IT.... i had the same CEL for the speed sensor yada yada.... there is a double ground wire that comes out of the harness right near the battery tray. mine was under the tray and not conntected.. i just regrounded it and it was all fixed!