2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dodge dakota awd abs problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 AM
cberr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 dodge dakota awd abs problems

Hi folks,
My problem at the moment is that, this morning, my abs warning light and brake warning light came on, as well as, the abs motor/pump kept continuously running. With the key off, still running... I finally disconnected the battery and it stopped. First of all, to fill you all in, I have a 2002 dodge dakota quad cab AWD/4wd 4.7 v8 with about 130,000 miles on it. ANd as far as my location, I am in Cape May, NJ and the weather here has been about 28-30 degrees and snow last couple days. Before this problem, as is usually the case, the brakes abs would kick in if I lost traction. nothing new. seemed normal. I guess due to the recent weather, the abs was being put to the test more often then usual, but nothing out of the ordinary. So, now this. I did a little research and it seems like I might be looking at either a new abs controller/module, or maybe a speed sensor. Whatever the culprit, I'm hoping this is a do it yourself job. Without an ABS scanner, I'd be guessing this is it. Well, just in time for the holidays I guess. What I am hoping, as christmas is here and I really cant afford a major car repair, can I just disconnect the abs safely until I can get to fixing it? Also, what am I looking at as far as cost to fix. Now on to my overall concern. As not to make this a book, I will post a new tread. If you have any experience with the brakes on these things, please follow and read it, as I am thinking this new problem is related to problems I've been havin since I had the truck...thanks. rally appreciate any help.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You should post this in the 2nd Generation. I will move it there for you.

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge dakota awd abs problems