2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota abs problems additional

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 AM
cberr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 dakota abs problems additional

SInce I got my 2002 dakota (4.7 v8 awd/4wd quad cab) I have had problems with the brakng system. By problem, at first, it just didnt seem right. It would rain and I would barely hit the brakes and the front would either lock up or the abs would kick in to the point it was scary. I never had abs b4 so I figured this was "normal" or I just had to get used to it. I mentioned it to my mechanic, and he said everything looked fine(something I found to be common among dakota owners who have similar problems) Normally, I'd do the brakes myself, or any little fixes I could handle, unless I just couldn't figure it out. So, I brought it to my mechanic. I brought it to a few dodge dealerships. all was good I was told...The red flag for me was when I went for inspection and failed due to improper front/rear brake balance. hmm. So back to the mechanic. He made an adjustment and seemed ok for about 2 weeks, then back to it feelig funny. Next inspection...failed again. readjusted again. since then, have accepted it, as no one found any problem. I was told that dakota brakes suck and that it was a design problem (brakes to small 4 the truck). ??? after a few sets of rotors and pads for the front (the rears always seem fine) I deal with it, praying it doesn't happen at the worst possible time, like having the abs malfunction as Im coming to a busy intersection or down a slick hill or something like that. I think after a recent problem I recently posted about my abs motor not turning off, Im starting to think all these problems are all related to just a flawed brake system in a lot of these dakotas, as I know Im not the only one by far with similiar problems. So why hasn't there been a recall or safety notice issued? Aside from my upper ball joints being recalled, and still having problems with the lower ones (why werent they all recalled?) and numerous other little things I have either fixed or dealt with, things that are clearly due to improper design and should be dodges responsibility...not mine. But this brake thing seems to really be a problem that I wish dodge would step up to the plate on. I know it's not just me, right? Are there owners out there who had enough of phantom brake problems that no dealer/ mechanic seems to be able to correct or identify. I know the 2006 had an abs controller recall. What about older models. I think my next step it to start calling dodge on the ongoing problem by writing them with enough complaints to warrant a look into it, or maybe a third party if they wont. Im just tired of paying repeatedly for a problem that never seems to be fixd. Any opinions/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone out there found a fix and its not as big a deal as I am making it to be....

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You should post this in the 2nd Generation. I will move it there for you.

Quick Reply: 2002 dakota abs problems additional