2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck trade...worth it?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 AM
V8DAKOTAV8
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck trade...worth it?

Hello all. Haven't been around in awhile. Have a question for you Dakota guys. I currently have a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5" Skyjacker suspension lift and 35" tires. I'm looking into getting a Dakota and I have a guy interested in trading me straight up for his 2000 Dakota V8 with a 3" lift and 33's. Mine has 209,xxx miles on it with a fresh trans at 204,xxx and his has 198,xxx on the odometer with "no motor or trans troubles". First of all, is the trade worth it? And secondly, what should I look out for on the truck if I do decide to go through with it? Also, could someone tell me if it would have the 4.7L engine or is there a possibility it might still have the 5.2? I don't know a lot about the Dakota's and i'm not sure when the switch happened. Thanks guys for your time and I appreciate any and all input and advice.

Chad

Old 12-24-2009, 12:51 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Switch happened in 2000. 4.7 has the 45rfe which is behind the 5.7 hemi's... Umm, other than that I would keep your truck for now. Especially with a new tranny bet it's running golden lol. And you know whats wrong ect... And there are no lifts for a dakota really. There is a few but nothing special. Unless you plan on not lifting it. as for me preference i would keep the ram. Just because I think it's worth more.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
rickmeseke
Professional

i would just stay with your ram, as varsis said, you have a new trans, he has "no troubles" at 199xxx. if its all stock nothing major replaced its bound to take a dump in a few miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck trade...worth it?