2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Loose Steering fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Cope
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Steering fix

Hi everyone, I am somewhat new here and need some help. I recently bought a 1999 Dakota club car 4x4 with the 5.2L V8. I love the truck, but the steering is driving me nuts. I have about 1-2 inches of play in my steering wheel. I have had the underside of the truck looked at and they said everything was tight and looked good there. I searched the forums for a solution and I found on the RAM 2nd gen forum that you there is a piece on top of the steering box that you can adjust. Does anyone know if the Dakota is the same way? Please help.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:51 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

no, I believe that the ram is a worm and roller where the Dakota is a Rack and Pinion. so I don't think there is an adjustment specificaly for play. Have you tried a Competent Front end shop? or have you specificaly looked at your front wheel to make sure it doesn't move at all during the area of play. that could tell you wether you're dealing with a loose component or if it's just WAY out of alignment.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM
thedakotakid

Check the u-joint in the steering shaft between the firewall and steering box. the box itself does have adjustment though. if you'll look on the very top of the box there is a nut with an allen screw inside. by loosening the nut and tightening the alen screw, and then tightening the nut again, you can adjust what play you have.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Durangos have a stearing box up to 2000. I am supprized that the 1999 Dak has gone over to Rack?

Anyway what the users are discribing is a steering box and not rack and pinion.

Quick Reply: Loose Steering fix