2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 AM
kevindakota00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise

My truck is a 2000 2wd 4.7L auto. it seems to drive ok, but it makes a "grinding" noise that pulsates that is consistent with the speed of travel. the brakes where worn so i replaced them and the stabilizer links where bad so i replaced those. the noise remains. it is hard to tell where the noise is coming from in the cab but my educated guess is pass. front. the bearing has no 6-12 oclock play by the way, possible tranny? rear diff (noise up the drive shaft?) any ideas are appreciated.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

did you replace the calipers when you worked on your brakes?

also, any play whatsoever in the bearings is bad. check the other side too.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 AM
kevindakota00

i had not replaced the calipers, i have never seen calipers make a "pulsating" noise. the caliper did however have a small indentation cut into it the shape of the brake pad pass. and driver side, probably normal wear. anyway the pass side bearing is tight, the driver side does have some play in it but the sound does not appear to be from that side.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 AM
stashum

its hard to diagnose it without hearing it, but make sure your caliper bolts are tight. also check that the sheetmetal dustshield behind the rotor is not rubbing against the rotor(just bend it back). I'm more familiar with honda's than dodges(Honda tech for 5 years), and it is very common to accidentally bend that shield when removing the wheels

Quick Reply: grinding noise