2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

problem with lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
debbiesdakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with lights.

Can somebody please help me out. I am a new member here and this is my first time asking a question. All of a sudden my tail lights, parking lights and inter gauge lights stopped working . I checked all the fuses and they all are good. There is no specific fuse with either of these lights labled to it. Am I missing someting.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to the site Debbie. Try posting your question in your Gen (1st, 2nd, 3rd) Dakota section. You will get a much quicker answer there.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this post to the correct section, but I need to know the year of your Dakota,
FF

Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
debbiesdakota

ty to all. By the way have 2003 dakota (8cyl) QUAD.. I have not found a solution as of yet so it looks like a trip to the dealer soon.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you don't have any aftermarket trailer wiring on your truck and no aftermarket radio or any other wiring or modification has been done in the interior, I would guess that the Central Timer Module (CTM) is bad. The CTM is located in the driver's kick panel and it controls nearly every electrical function on the truck. When you remove the plastic trim panel from the driver's kick panel you will see the CTM. You will see the 3 plastic plugs with all the wires going to the CTM itself. You can try unplugging the plugs at the CTM for a few minutes then plug them all back in and see if the lights work again. If the lights still don't work, the only way to test the CTM to be sure it's bad is at the Dodge dealer with the DRB scan tool.

If your CTM is defective, and your truck does not have all the factory installed electric options like keyless entry, factory power locks and windows etc, you can buy a new CTM from the dealer or maybe even a junk yard and plug it in yourself to fix the truck. If you have factory keyless entry and all that, the dealer has to install and program the new CTM to your truck and program both of your keyless entry remotes with the DRB tool.

Usually when something like this happens and there are no obvious causes like shorted wiring or incorrect accessory installation, CTM failure is the reason for the problem. I have heard it happens a lot more up north where it gets cold, due to static electricity charges that build up in the truck from using the heat all the time.

You could also have a bad headlight switch and/or combination switch casung the lights not to work. The Haynes book for your truck has diagrams and directions on how to check the switches with a volt-ohm meter. You might want to check that out before heading out to the dealer. You can also turn the ignition key on and off 3 times and on the third time, leave it in the on position. Then if you have any trouble codes stored from the PCM they will display in the odometer. If you have codes stored it may help point you in the right direction on what is wrong.

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good helpful people on here. Let us know how it turns out or if you need more help.

Jimmy

Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is Pyros key dance to obtain the trouble codes in more detail thta 01silverCC described:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-for-this.html

FF

Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

i believe if its the ctm you can buy it from dodge put it in urself (in the parking lot, thats what i did) and possibly have them program your keyless

edit: are your wipers acting all insane? mine only worked on high when mine went bad

Quick Reply: problem with lights.